Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 4, 2008, 6:49 PM   #1

I need help! I'm new to digital photography, I bought the Sony DSC-H9 camera when it came out, and I haven't been able to figure out how to capture accurate colors with ease.

I keep switching between settings, Manual, Auto, Flash, no Flash, ISO. But I don't know what settings I need to adjust, and I end up wasting 15-20 minutes per photo that I'm trying to take.

I take pictures of items for catalog/and future online store, so they need to be good quality for printing. I find that when I go to the ISO setting it doesn't print as well, it looks grainy.

The flash pictures sometimes look too shiny, or just don't come out with the right color. Reds and blues are specially difficult. I tried to take a picture of an item that is grey and it keeps coming out looking blue. Or something brown (wood) looks redish when it's a medium dark brown.

Please someone explain what settings should I be adjusting. I know that I bought a decent enough camera that can do this for me without making me go crazy!

Any ideas to try would be appreciated.

Oh, and just one more info, I am using a small portable lightstudio, so I do have lights on the sides, and a white box where my products sit and the camera is on a tripod.

I appreciate your help again!!!

Thanks!!
fmg_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2008, 6:28 AM   #2
Administrator

Look up how to set a custom white balance in your camera's manual. That allows it to measure the color temperature of the lighting you are shooting in and apply it to your images. A photographic gray or white card is one target you can use. But, almost anything white can work in a pinch (I sometimes use some white coffee filters stacked together as a White Balance target).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2008, 7:52 AM   #3

Thanks for the info, I tried adjusting the White Balance settings, but I still can't get the right blue. It's definetely better but not 100% perfect. Would you recommend any particular light setup?
fmg_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2008, 8:19 AM   #4
Administrator

What do you mean by "adjusting"?

Did you set a custom white balance? I do not mean one of the white balance presets (tungsten, flourescent, sunny, cloudy, etc.) Set a custom white balance instead, with the target in the same lighting you have your subject in. Look up Custom White Balance in your manual.

When you set a custom WB, the camera is basically taking a photo of something white or neutral gray in the same lighting you want to shoot in so it can measure the temperature of the light and store it as a custom white balance setting.

Then, it can apply the same white balance to other photos taken in the same lighting.

As for lighting, you may want to start with this "Sticky Post" at the top of the threads list in our Studio Lighting, Flash & Other Forum. It has links to tutorials and more.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=54

Old Mar 5, 2008, 8:44 AM   #5
Administrator

If you are still having problems after setting a custom white balance, I'd post a sample image. You may have an exposure problem, too (under exposing or over exposing the image because of the way you're metering the subject).