Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 8, 2008, 3:30 PM   #1

I use to use the usb to upload videos from my sony hc21 camcorder but since i bought a new laptop( Toshiba Satellite a-215) which has the newer vista operating system I can no longer transfer video using the usb since sony does not provide a driver for the vista operating system. I am told that I can upload video using a firewire cable(ieee,ilink). since i don't have the greatest vision i am not sure which cable i need to buy,4 pin to 4 pin or 4 pin to 6 pin or 6 pin to 6 pin. can anyone help me with this problem, i would hate to order a cable through the internet only to find i bought the wrong cable. Thank you for any help you can provide.
garryinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2008, 6:39 PM   #2

Gary, look on your laptop to determine which IEEE cable you need. Firewire cables do vary depending on the product you want to use it on. First, as you said, there are two types of input connectors, 4 pin and 6 pin.

Check which type your camcorder has. Does it have a 4 pin connector...

Or a 6 pin connector (shown below)?

Also, when doing this, check to see which type of firewire your computer takes. camcorder (Panasonic PV-GS320) takes a 4 pin and my computer takes a 6 pin so in my case I got a 4 to 6 pin Firewire cable. If this example doesn't help you out, feel free to PM me with any questions. Hope this helps out.
Kevin_0089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 3:21 PM   #3

Thanks Kevin for the help!
garryinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 10:37 PM   #4

I also have a sony dsc hc42 camcorder and uploaded my videos to my desktop running windows xp, by using a firewire cable with 4 pins on the camcorder end and six pins at the computer. When I got a laptop with vista home premium on it I discovered that usb support was not there for my sony either , so I had to go buy a firewire cable with four pins on either end. With all the improvements that came with vista, one would have thought that usb support for the sony camcorder would have been there :roll:
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote