Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 23, 2008, 6:25 PM   #1

This camera should have different flash settings (ie: Flash Auto, Flash Force, Slow Synchro, Flash Forced off)

there is a button on the camera that should allow me to choose one of the options mentioned above. However, when I try to use it the camera reads "Flash settings can not be changed." and the setting that it is set on is the Flashed Forced Off. This only changes, when I change the setting to twilight, and then the setting is Slow Synchro.

How can I change these settings, and use the flash either when I want to, or on an Auto setting?

thanks so much,

rachel
rhephzibah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2008, 7:30 PM   #2

Hello Rachel-

I notice that this is your very first post on this forum. So, firstly, let me say welcome to the Forum. The Sony H-3 is a pretty good camera with a prettygood flash range. However, if you want to go beyond that, then I suggest using a slave flash which will both provide more light and give you the advantage of using bounce flash. Here is a photo sample from the Sony H-3 using BOTH the H-3's built-in flash as well as the bounce flash. You will notice that the flash range is extended and we also pick-up added lighting in the background. Flash can be your friend, if used correctly.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 8:41 PM   #3

thank you so much. But, what is a bounce flash? I truly know nothing about this camera stuff. I just wanted to be able to use the options on my camera. But, I don't know how. It seems to me like the flash isn't working. Is it?
Old Mar 24, 2008, 12:30 PM   #4

The Sony H-3 has a very effective built-in flash. It can provide excellent flash lighting out to 23 feet. Your flash is most easily used in the automatic position.Go to the Mode Selector on top of the H-3 and you will find the Mode Selector right next to the shutter button.

Rotate the Mode Selector until it is set at the small green camera symbol. Next turn the H-3 on and take a good look at the upper right hand corner of the LCD screen. The symbol for flash is a lightening bolt. Now, slowlypush on the right hand side of the H-3's 4 way controller on the back of the camera. You will see all of the flash options available on the H-3. When the LCD screendoes not show any lightening bolt symbols, the camera is in the automatic flash mode. That means that the camera we automatically open the camera's built in flash unit and the flash will flash to light your photo scene whenever it is needed.

The lightening bolt with a diagonal line running through it means that the flash is turned off. The lightening bolt with the letter "S" to the right of the lightening bolt symbol means Slow Flash. Be careful when using slow falsh as the shutter speed becomes very slow and if the camera is handheld some blurring of your photo might occur.

In the beginning, just use the auto flash position by itself.The single lightening bolt all by itself, which is called the flash on or auto flash position. It means that the camera wll use a flash every time you take a photo.The H-3 is capable of excellent flash photos.

The details on using the flash on the H-3 are found on the CD that came with the camera. Here is a photo sample of a typical flash photo with the H-3 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Mar 24, 2008, 12:34 PM   #5

Thanks Sarah,

I have tried switching the mode and this using the control button to change the flash option. The only problem is that the camera then reads "flash settings can not be changed." I know I should be able to change them, but the camera won't let me.

any other suggestions?
Old Mar 24, 2008, 2:04 PM   #6

rhep-

I can access all of the flash modes, on my H-3,when the Mode Selector in the "P" for Programed Auo Mode or at the full auto mode which is the small green camera symbol.

If you cannot do that I would guess that there is either something wrong with your H-3 camera, or that some other setting that we have not yet discussed is out of position. A quick resolution might be to take it back to the retailer who sold it to you. Perhaps they can determine the problem or give you a replacement camera.

Have a good day.

Sara Joyce
Old Mar 24, 2008, 8:22 PM   #7

Sara,

Great news!! I called Sony Customer Service (I didn't even think to do that!), and they were able to fix my camera. Apparently, my camera was on the Burst Record mode, and when in that mode you cannot change the flash settings. So, I changed the record mode to Normal, and voila...I have flash options again!!!

I truly do appreciate your help!

have a great day,

rachel
Old Mar 25, 2008, 8:49 AM   #8

rachel-

I am delighted to hear that the flash problem on your Sony H-3 camera has been solved. Enjoy!

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:15 AM   #9

Hi!
I recently just bought a DSH-H3 as well and had the EXACT same problem with "flash settings cannot be changed." I was getting very frustrated and then found your little conversation! Now my camera works with the flash! I read through the entire manual and that is NOT in there about the flash settings in burst mode. Thank you sara and rachel

Lauren
schlawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 1:49 PM   #10

Though page 43 of the handbook does say

Burst - flash is set to "Flash Forced Off" with a helpful little international symbol of a flash, circled with a diagonal line though it.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote