Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 4, 2008, 8:48 AM   #1

Hi All,

Well I actually decided to leave my D300 home and travel light with my H50.

Glad I did as I would not have been able to capture some moments of my great nephew's First Holy Communion.

They announced no photography. I disagreed and took some images until I was 'caught'. ( I believe the world needs to see what goes on in our religious institutions, especially with all the negative stuff shown 24 hours a day on TV ). I took the church images from my seat with the tilt LCD in total silence. On High ISO mode. After the ceremony I took the posed shots by the altar. The flash is quite effective.

In the restaurant believe it or not, I showed my niece how the tele works at VGA, shooting the hand on a distant clock. Of course, I forgot to change back to 9MB. Several of the restaurant pics were on smile mode ( as VGA) and ressed back upto 4x6 ( not bad considering, at print size they look all right). Good to know you can pull a 4x6 from VGA when you have to.

We had a great time taking shots in Smile Mode. All were amazed and laughing and then trying to fool the camera with funny faces.
All were with low NR except when mode would not allow it.

The 'clear' restaurant shots were at 9 MB.

Again these are only 'family' images and I believe I would not have captured some without my H50.

All were PP and cropped in PSE 6.

http://nickphoto123.zenfolio.com/p334150731/?photo=h02284F54#36196180

Comments welcome.

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2008, 9:16 AM   #2

Welcome back Nick,

Taking a break from the DSLR??

Looks like you did your best with the lighting you had at the restaurant. What were the settings you were shooting? It could be my monitor but some of the photos looked like some noise distortion. My H5 does the same thing on inside shooting I am figuring it can't get the WB close enough for a clear photo. Anybody also see barrel distortion on their H-series camera? I just started see it in my H5. I really like point and shoots but when it comes down to very important photos I will always bring my DSLR due to the IQ you get from them. Not saying you can not get it from point and shoots I am just better with my DSLR. I hope there is a day I don't have to carry 50lbs of camera gear with me.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 10:08 AM   #3

Hi Cyberf828,

You missed my restaurant image comments above.Some restaurant pics weremistakingly shooting at VGA.

The clear restaurant images were at 9Mp.

Thank you for your comments.

Nicholas
Old May 5, 2008, 10:16 AM   #4

I shoot VGA all the time for Web motorcycleforums that I post, I wasn't thinking it was due to that. I was thinking it was WB due to lighting? I could be wrong it wouldn't be the first :lol:
Old May 5, 2008, 11:45 AM   #5

Nice shots.I know you Great nephew's family will treasure them. My husband and I are gradually scanning all our film prints of our dauhgters through the yars into digital. We finished 22 Christmases this past Noember, and I had them playing on my digital frame in my office last Christmas. :lol: From 1998 on we had digital and film.

Great family pirtures. My favorite kind of pictures. :-)

mercury
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 8:22 PM   #6

Thank you CyberF828 and Mercury.

Scanning film took me a very long time but it is worth it.

The WB on the VGA may be off on those shots as there may not be enough image info from a small VGA to apply proper white balance? This is beyond my knowledge. You are looking at 4x6 ressed from VGA on those 'not sharp' restaurant pics, maybe this adds to what your are commenting about.

I must develope a habit to check my resolution setting while shooting.

Regards,

Nicholas
Old May 6, 2008, 12:58 AM   #7

I always forget my settings just today I was doing macros and forgot I was shooting in black and white :roll: I was shooting some railroad shots earlier, lucky it was only after the 3rd shot I noticed it.