Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 27, 2003, 9:32 PM   #1

Default 717 & Digiscoping???

Has anyone here ever done any digiscoping with their 7x7? If so I have a few questions, actually a lot of questions :lol:

I just need some general info of where to get started and what equipment I would need.

Most importantly I want to know if I will obtain good image quality and is this safe to attempt with my 717?

Thanks in Advance,
Ramon
3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2003, 9:36 AM   #2

At the risk of sounding stupid, what is "digiscoping"?
Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2003, 8:08 PM   #3

I've recently purchased the camera. Found the available lenses dismal for my usage. I purchased a scope from Crystalview

http://www.ckcpower.com/ -- am still dealing with the weight of the lens, but it is working well.

You can view some of the photos I've taken (early ones) at
http://www.floridashots.com/newcamerashots.htm

It is a learning experience more than anything else. But, it can be done! Most of my problems are figuring out the camera. I did have a special brace made to adjust the weight of the setup for this. I also purchased a Sony Tripod to have the remote shoot option to lessen the camera jiggle. Not sure you need to tripod as much as the remote control.

Hope this helps.
szander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2003, 9:35 PM   #4

You might try looking through the 'Digiscoping' forum a little further down the list of available fora (or asking the question there ).
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 9:14 AM   #5

Hi Szander,

Your using the Sony 717? How well does it work on the tripod with the scope on the front? Are you attaching the scope to the tripod or the camera?

Great pictures.

Darrell
Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2003, 4:26 AM   #6

Darrell:

So, a month later, some response - I am truly sorry, but I've not been back on this site and forgot to check the notify me button :roll:

I ended up buying the Sony Tripod with the remote control to make life easier The lens is so heavy that It took a while to get used to using it. I was not comfortable with attaching either the scope or the camera to the tripod due to the weight -- counter balance was a pain. I work for a company that has a sheet metal shop and got someone there to make me a brace that distributes the weight evenly, and it is much better.

I am still very happy with the results and have gotten some incredible pics at far distances.

I have issues with fringing, but mostly because of the light conditions -- otherwise I am still happy with the lens.
szander is offline   Reply With Quote