Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 31, 2008, 9:11 PM   #181

Hi Jack-

Happy New Year to you as well. The Sony H-50 has become a great camera for me, as it can do just about everything, if you are willing to plan your shots in advance, and to take care of everything.

I am looking into the W-300 camera as well, as it would be a really great "take anywhere camera." I will keep you posted, Jack!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 9:26 PM   #182

OK, Jack-

I don't mean to be picky, but this is what I think of when we discuss butterfly photos. Is that expecting too much. This is a Sony H-5 photo, if I remember correctly. Bottomline this is what Sony cameras can really do.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jan 3, 2009, 2:43 AM   #183

hi sarah
when i turn on my h50 and get it near my ear i heard a sound like " gerrrrrrrrrrr gerrrrrrrrrr " like a littel machin is working can you test this with your cam and tell me the result it disterbs me mo
thank you
mohammad javanmard
mohammad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 5:34 PM   #184

When you first power up the H-50, you can hear the gyro in the Super Steady Shot mechanism starting and coming upn to speed. Also if you have the focus set to constant focus, naturally you H-50 will also try to focus on anything that is visible to the camera. It saves battery power to not have the focus set to constant focus.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:08 AM   #185

Hi, new to the forum. Read through most of this string. I'm interested in your opinion of the Sony DSC-F717 compared to the Sony H-50. I loved the 707 I had for 5 years until it had a problem recognizing the memory cards (tried everything and even sent it in when under the extended warrenty). But it worked great for over 3 years. Or if anything else you would recommend. I can get the 717 used, so that's why I ask. Thanks, Ken
ken500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 11:38 AM   #186

Hi Ken-

Welcome to the folder. I used to shoot with the 717 and I loved it. However, it too developed problems as it went into maturity. If the 717 is fairly new it could be a very good deal. Do keep in mind that there is a little less zoom capability on the 717, as opposed to the H-50.

Both Jack, who began this thread and I are still using our H-50's but we have also moved on to DSLR cameras. So you might also think about a DSLR camera as well.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:41 AM   #187

Thanks for the reply. I decided the deal on the 717 was too good ($150). So I'll use that for a while longer. The DSLR is definitely the next step...maybe next year I'll read back through, but any favorites for DSLRs? Here's a nice photo (one of many) I took w/ my poor old 707 (rip).
Attached Images

ken500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:14 PM   #188

Hi Ken-

It sounds like you got a very good deal. I think I would have made the very same move. Have fun with your new camera. As far a DSLR cameras go, bith Jack and I use the Olympus E-510 camera, with great success.

Your Sony 707 photo is excellent. Here is an E-510 photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jan 7, 2009, 5:21 PM   #189

Hello,

Its Vanpet, I finally made the local news with one of my pics taking wth my H50 and I wanted to post my pic.

Vanpet
Attached Images

vanpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:09 PM   #190

That's a great shot Vanpet-

I can see why the local newspaper picked it up. The icicles really add to the season. You also got some nice sharpness as well.

Sarah Joyce