Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 24, 2009, 8:36 AM   #201

After reading thru all the post's in here, it re assures me that I choose the correct camera for my begging photo adventure. Jack & Sarah thank you for all your input into this thread for it has been helpful in deed.

S/F
USMCZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 9:59 AM   #202

S/F-

I am glad you enjoyed the thread on the H-50. The H-50 is an excellent camera that is capable of a great deal. Unfortunately, I have been spending more time with my ongoing evaluation of the new Sony HX-1 camera. That is going on in a separate thread in this same folder.

I would like to get back to producing more activity in this thread, but as a professional digital camera instructor that teaches on cruise ships, I am often gone for considerable periods of time.

Here is a recent photo taken with the H-50 indoors without flash of my husband.

I hope you are enjoying a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 3:26 AM   #203

I just found the site after trying to figure out my Sony DSCH50. I am having a heck of a time achieving a blurred background like I want.
I know there are some limitations but I have seen the pictures in this post with the exact look I want and I just can't seem to get it.
Any recommendations or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
KIRWEN1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 11:31 AM   #204

Kirwen-

Taking a look at the photo that I just posted of my husband and the one attached to this post, please. Is that sufficient background blurring for your tastes? That amount of blurring is about the most blurring you can get with a superzoom camera like the H-50.

If you want added blurring of the background, you will have to step up to a DSLR camera. Why is that you are probably asking? It is a function of the size (diameter) of the lens and the size of the imager used in your camera. The lens size and imager size is much larger in a DSLR camera, and therefore, you can more easiy separate items in the camera's depth of field.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old May 25, 2009, 4:32 PM   #205

Kirwen-

Now here is an example of the kind of background blurring that a DSLR camera can create with its larger lens and imager.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old May 25, 2009, 9:58 PM   #206

Thanks mtclimber. While I would like to be able to achieve the latter of the three looks the first two blurred backgrounds that you gave me examples of is exactly what I am trying to do.

I looked at the manual and tried a ton of different combination's but I can't seem to get any blurred background.

What the heck am I not doing or doing wrong?

Thanks again.
KIRWEN1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 10:09 PM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRWEN1004 View Post
Thanks mtclimber. While I would like to be able to achieve the latter of the three looks the first two blurred backgrounds that you gave me examples of is exactly what I am trying to do.

I looked at the manual and tried a ton of different combination's but I can't seem to get any blurred background.

What the heck am I not doing or doing wrong?

Thanks again.
When you're trying to manipulate depth of field (blur the background), you adjust a lens's aperture: bigger iris opening (smaller f-stop number) yields a shallower field and tends to blur background (and foreground), a smaller aperture (larger number) yields a deeper field.

So with the long zoom, try the smallest f-stop number you have and see how that works for you. You can use the Aperture mode to do this.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 12:03 PM   #208

Well there it is Kirwen-

You may have to go to the aperture preference mode to force a larger F stop (try F 2.8) and accept the shutter speed that the camera sets for your photo.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 26, 2009, 5:27 PM   #209

here is a photo I took with the H50... is this the kind of depth of focus you are looking for?
9 mp
F2.8
5.3 mm lens focal length
1/400 shutter speed
-1.0 Exposure correction
multi metering mode
Aperture Exposure mode
80 ISO
Auto White Balance
sRGB color space

hope this works

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/18...da85d76e2b.JPG

Last edited by lisalonewolf; May 26, 2009 at 5:33 PM. Reason: http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/18425fe4ba89ffc3f80b6f68756bdda85d76e2b.JPG
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 5:23 AM   #210

I stumbled across something built into the camera itself that will do it as well. When you are looking at your pictures in the LCD while there just press the Menu button again and a whole new set of options pop up. Once there if you scroll down to "Retouch" 4 clicks over and this should give you the desired effect you are looking for. Also there are many other fun little extras in there if ya have a look around. Hope this helps just a lil

USMCZen is offline   Reply With Quote