Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:42 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
jack55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 947
Default

Here is what I think anyone should get when they get the camera. (what I got at least) I tend to stay with SONY products that are made specifically for that model.

* Sony LCS-HB Soft Carrying Case: This is a matter of choice!

* Sony 2GB & 4GB Memory Stick PRO Duo Media (one each) If you don't shoot that much, 2GB is enough.

* Sony NP-BG1 Type G Lithium Ion Rechargeable Battery Pack for Sony W Series. (If you shoot much at all, you WILL need an extra battery) Not cheap and I wish it was like the H1 that had the double AA batteries.

* Lens cleaning kits of your choice. (I buy 2-3 of them, because I'm finding that that LCD needs constant cleaning as it easily gets smudges & dust on it and I can't stand that.)

* Tripod of your choice for sure and a mono-pod. I use both. There will be times that hand-holding won't cut it, such as night shots etc.

Tip... I feel one should always have a circular polarizer, but not the one the camera maker is push as then you have to by the adapter and then your forced to buy the very large and expensive circular filter. On my last 5 cameras I have used the same 58mm circular polarizer filter. I simply hold it against the lense when I shoot. A tad bit of a hazzle but better than spending the $100+ for the above setup.

Later on I "may" buy a slave flash and the Tele-extender.


jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 5:24 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
jack55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 947
Default

Ok... today I played with the close-upand low-light settings. I'm more than happy with this camera... not much it can't do.

Here is a close-up with my favorite watch. Pretty good detail. I was just using the available light in the kitchen steading the camera with my elbows, no tripod.



This is what I call macro!



This is shot in my bathroom on tripod using the program mode in TOTAL darkness.



This is fuzzy due to high ISO, but C'mon, it was shot in TOTAL darkness in my bathroom using the "night-shot" button on top left side of camera. Of course I had to use a tripod for this shot!


jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 2:10 AM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 92
Default

photos look good, i was thinking about this camera but not sure yet might wait to see what else comes out, i read 3 reviews that said this was just an average camera, why no review by Steve here?
Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 3:09 AM   #24
TC3
Senior Member
 
TC3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,169
Default

Good review. I have the camera too and am very happy with it. I posted several pics over on dpreview sony talk forum which also show how good this lil camera is and in low light high iso shots too. I have used RAW on a Pentax dslr for past 2 years and am quite fussy with image quality, noise and high iso settings yet the H50 does a fantastic job!! I also really like the feature set and extras such as remore and filter holder. I have recently got infra red filters and am having lots of fun using night shot mode in day time with the filters. What a camera

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:03 PM   #25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5
Default

:? I sure hope I'm doing this right,,,

I just ordered this camera (DSC H50/B) from Sony. I have been using a Sony DSC H1 for the past 2 1/2 years and I love it, so after months of looking and reading reviews, I decided on to spend my money on another Sony. I'm just not ready for all the lens and fuss of an SLR yet but I do love to snap photos,,,never leave the house without my camera.

I hope I'm intelligent enough to learn things from your forum!
BrendainAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 12:00 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
jack55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 947
Default

BrendainAR wrote:
Quote:
:? I sure hope I'm doing this right,,,

I just ordered this camera (DSC H50/B) from Sony. I have been using a Sony DSC H1 for the past 2 1/2 years and I love it, so after months of looking and reading reviews, I decided on to spend my money on another Sony. I'm just not ready for all the lens and fuss of an SLR yet but I do love to snap photos,,,never leave the house without my camera.

I hope I'm intelligent enough to learn things from your forum!
Your just like me! I had the Sony H1 for over 2 years too and loved that camera. After tying the Canon s5is for 6 months, I sold it just to get the new H50B.
You'll love it!
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 7:39 AM   #27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 14
Default

Hi!

I'm pretty impressed with this camera so far (and your photos)! I haven't had a chance to check it out at a store yet, but I was curious about whether the zoom lever is in the way of where your thumb should rest while holding the camera.

Thanks for the great review...I can't wait for Steve to get one posted too!

Michelle
MichelleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 9:19 AM   #28
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5
Default

I am hoping my DSC-H50/B will be delivered today but with FedEx delivering, who knows. I'm anxious to get my hands on it! I have a couple of questions,

Will the telephoto, macro, and fisheye, lens that I bought for my H1 work on the H50 or will I need a different adapter?

I also have a few filters, will they work with the same adapter that I used on the H1?
BrendainAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 6:21 PM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 92
Default

yes those are great photos, i was wondering what the wideangle is like i take lots of photos in a boat with anglers hold a fish, so was wondering how it would be, more background in shots would be nice, i just might pick one of these up when i'm in the USA next month, will do more searching but this unit looks like a good upgrade from my W1
Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:18 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
jack55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 947
Default

BrendainAR wrote:
Quote:
I am hoping my DSC-H50/B will be delivered today but with FedEx delivering, who knows. I'm anxious to get my hands on it! I have a couple of questions,

Will the telephoto, macro, and fisheye, lens that I bought for my H1 work on the H50 or will I need a different adapter?

I also have a few filters, will they work with the same adapter that I used on the H1?
I would think so, but I'm not sure. Let's see what Steve's review says when he get's that one up. Maybe someone here has the accessories from the H1 and has bought the H50 can tell us?

MichelleD wrote:
Quote:
Hi!

I'm pretty impressed with this camera so far (and your photos)! I haven't had a chance to check it out at a store yet, but I was curious about whether the zoom lever is in the way of where your thumb should rest while holding the camera.

Thanks for the great review...I can't wait for Steve to get one posted too!

Michelle
No problem for me as I like the zoom lever where I can reach it easily. However, if your use to the zoom lever being on the front, it may take some getting use to.

Canadian wrote:
Quote:
yes those are great photos, i was wondering what the wideangle is like i take lots of photos in a boat with anglers hold a fish, so was wondering how it would be, more background in shots would be nice, i just might pick one of these up when i'm in the USA next month, will do more searching but this unit looks like a good upgrade from my W1
I wouldn't know as I don't have or use a wideangle. Maybe someone here has?
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:09 PM.