Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:54 PM   #31

Thanks Jack!
MichelleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 8:07 AM   #32

I've only had about 20 minutes to play around with my new H50/B, sitting with the grands and they keep me hoppin', but so far I love how light it is and everything is so accessible on it.
BrendainAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 6:35 PM   #33

I went to a large air show yesterday and took a lot of photo's. These will tell you how good the H50 is on speed and zooming. I was impressed. I was next to a couple of guys that had the canon & nikon DSLR's with the Big/Long lenses and they were having trouble getting the shots they wanted. Not me!
BTW, what would be YOUR favorite shots of the 24 photo's I took?
http://corvettec3.com/McChordAirExpo.htm

It was tough, but I like at least half of what I have on the webpage... I guess I'd pick these two... The F16 Thunderbird is just firing up.

BTW, you WILL need an extra battery if you shoot much. I've found after several shootings, that the battery will last between 235-245 stored shots before it runs out. I left the camera on long periods of time during the Car show & Air show as not to miss shots, so I'm sure that affected the amount stored too. If you turn it off after each shot, you should get even more photo's.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 8:06 PM   #34

Great photos...I like all of them! I tried to list faves but the list got too long!

I read in the manual (on-line) that the H50 automatically shuts off after about 3 minutes...is there a way to change that setting?

BTW...what happened in photo #11?
MichelleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:00 PM   #35

MichelleD wrote:
Quote:
Great photos...I like all of them! I tried to list faves but the list got too long!

I read in the manual (on-line) that the H50 automatically shuts off after about 3 minutes...is there a way to change that setting?

BTW...what happened in photo #11?
I would think the shut off could be adjusted. I would check the online manual.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/DSCH50_handbook.pdf

In photo 11, that was a re-inactment of Pearl Harbor by the Zero planes.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:29 AM   #36

Jack-

'Just got back from Alaska tonight. The posted photos are nice and sharp. But my qualms with the posted photos are that they all look to be over exposed. Just my opinion, but I think they could really benefit from some post processing.A bit of EV when you were at Mc Chord would have made a world of difference.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:59 AM   #37

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Jack-

'Just got back from Alaska tonight. The posted photos are nice and sharp. But my qualms with the posted photos are that they all look to be over exposed. Just my opinion, but I think they could really benefit from some post processing.A bit of EV when you were at Mc Chord would have made a world of difference.

Sarah Joyce
Actually, I had the camera set to -.07 underexpose to bring out the blue sky and Mt. Rainier. I also used a polarizer.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 1:31 AM   #38

Well Jack-

It sounds like you did the right adjustments. As for me, I would still do some pp'ing. Otherwise excellent photos. BTW I really like #4 in your photo series, the North American AT-6. I actually carrier qualified (using the Navy SNJ version naturally) with that aircraft, way back in 1959. But then I also retired as a Boeing 747 Captain in 1991, so I spanned quite a few years.

Thanks for bringing back some great memories, Jack!

Sarah Joyce

Old Jul 27, 2008, 11:16 AM   #39

Jack -

It is a lot harder to do when you don't have the original image, but here is sort of what I mean. That took about 10 seconds. The histogram shows a lot of clipped highlights in this particular photo. Was a polarizing filter also used?

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jul 27, 2008, 11:48 AM   #40

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Jack -

It is a lot harder to do when you don't have the original image, but here is sort of what I mean. That took about 10 seconds. The histogram shows a lot of clipped highlights in this particular photo. Was a polarizing filter also used?

Sarah Joyce
Yes, I was using a polarizer. The Thunderbird had just fired up and why the background looked like that... all blurry and hazy.