Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 27, 2008, 4:58 PM   #41

Does the h50 have the carl zeus lense? oops sorry i just found out it does, i can't figure out why so many reviews are mixed on this camera i say its 50/50
Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 4:53 PM   #42

Canadian-

I must admit that you have all of us a bit confused. Yes, the Sony H-50 does indeed have a Carl Zeiss lens. Are there any other issues you might have?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 5:05 PM   #43

Canadian wrote:
Quote:
...i can't figure out why so many reviews are mixed on this camera i say its 50/50
You sound mixed on the Sony H50, so I'd suggest, (like I have a couple times already) to go down to the store like Best Buy and try them out for yourself.

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 6:28 PM   #44

Jack-

Just a quick note about my favorite camera: the Sony H-50. Imaging Resources found that the Control Wheel on the H-50 for the EV compensation was virtually ineffective. I am wondering if that might have been the problem with your Mc Chord photos???

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 7:51 PM   #45

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Jack-

Just a quick note about my favorite camera: the Sony H-50. Imaging Resources found that the Control Wheel on the H-50 for the EV compensation was virtually ineffective. I am wondering if that might have been the problem with your Mc Chord photos???

Sarah Joyce
Do you have the link to that?

It's a bit tricky asthe H50wants to set it for bracket shooting. I managed to set it at -.07 which may be a bit much. You'll see that if you hit properties on my shots. I dunno... as you said my shots looked light? To me they look a tad dark?

I admit that the control wheel is a bit tricky to use at times, especially if I'm in a hurry.

Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:39 AM   #46

jack55 wrote:
Quote:
Let's see how good the Sony DCS-H50 zoom is!

Here are some comparisions so you can see just how much zoom the Sony H50 has!

All shots are HANDHELD! No tripod as I forgot it.

<snip>

I'm telling you folks... to get a DSLR zoom lens that goes that wide and then zooms that far out you have to buy two lenses and it would set you back a couple thousand at least and yet, they won't really get any better quality than this $400 camera!!! AND I don't have a backache from carrying around all those lenses and tripod.
Jack, Those shots are great! A friend of mine bought the same kind of camera after reading your review right here. He played with it and is not sure if the zoom is zooming in all the way. By looking at your pictures at sea, with the ships, we were in awe how clear and close they were. So, my friend tried it in his house. Of course, maybe because it's dark inside so they are not that great, but the zoom is not up as close as yours seems to be. You say you did not add any lens to it? Here are his samples... He was focusing on the stereo by the TV. Does that seem normal to you? (photos resized to save bandwidth)

RickL66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:08 AM   #47

RickL66 wrote:
Quote:
Jack, Those shots are great! A friend of mine bought the same kind of camera after reading your review right here. He played with it and is not sure if the zoom is zooming in all the way. By looking at your pictures at sea, with the ships, we were in awe how clear and close they were. So, my friend tried it in his house. Of course, maybe because it's dark inside so they are not that great, but the zoom is not up as close as yours seems to be. You say you did not add any lens to it? Here are his samples... He was focusing on the stereo by the TV. Does that seem normal to you? (photos resized to save bandwidth)

That looks about right. Remember the farther away something is, the closer you seem to get, for an example, go outside and shoot at an object that is a ways away and it will really bring it in. I've added no lenses, however on some photo's, I crop the photo some, (anywhere between 10-25%) so that brings it in even closer. With the high pixel count your able to do that. So in a sense, you have a zoom in a zoom. Actually that would be called digital zoom in some cameras. Make sense?

That shot your friend took isn't bad at all for hand held as it is pretty sharp for that kind of low light.... the flash couldn'thave reached that far. Use to be a shot like that would be very blurry.

Old Jul 29, 2008, 12:47 PM   #48

jack55 wrote:
Quote:
That looks about right. Remember the farther away something is, the closer you seem to get, for an example, go outside and shoot at an object that is a ways away and it will really bring it in. I've added no lenses, however on some photo's, I crop the photo some, (anywhere between 10-25%) so that brings it in even closer. With the high pixel count your able to do that. So in a sense, you have a zoom in a zoom. Actually that would be called digital zoom in some cameras. Make sense?

That shot your friend took isn't bad at all for hand held as it is pretty sharp for that kind of low light.... the flash couldn'thave reached that far. Use to be a shot like that would be very blurry.
After looking at it some more, you are probably right. I can't even see the wall outlet in the first picture, I can in the close up. I almost can read "Memorex" on the bottom of the stereo in the close up. He is out at a 4H show today, he will come back tonight with some new shots to compare with.

Thanks for the good review!
Old Jul 29, 2008, 4:53 PM   #49

OK... here is an interesting comparison shots. My friend back east in DE that I shot the yellow finches at has the superzoom Kodak Z712 IS digital camera. We shot from the same place on patio. He was sitting down, I'm standing up. He shot his yesterday, I shot mine when I was there two weeks ago from the same spot. Compare and tell me which camera seems to do the best job?

Kodak Z712 IS shot:

Sony DSC-H50 shot:

Kodak Z712 IS shot:

Sony DSC-H50 shot:

Old Jul 29, 2008, 5:03 PM   #50

Amazing! The H50 definitely has clearer pictures and richer colors. I can even see the seeds clearly in your shot.