Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 29, 2008, 8:12 PM   #51

Jack-

I also fully agree. The H-50 did an excelent job in those comparison photos. It would be interesting to compare the H-50 to the H-5 or the H-3/H-10 cameras.

Here is a H-5 photo for comparison.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 8:49 PM   #52

Hi Jack-

Here is a photo sample from the Sony H-3. Just my opinion, but I think the H-5 sample looks better than the H-3 sample. Once again, the older H-5 seems to hold the trump card

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jul 29, 2008, 8:57 PM   #53

Hey Sarah, is that you? I have that exact set of headphones, SONY, correct? Oh.. now I see the second pix. LOL. Yep, I have that headphone.

I was extremely happy with the Sony H1 when I had it. I think the major difference in not the quality of photo's, but in the features, longer zoom, in-camera setup, more pixels, larger, clearer LCD that flips outetc. The H1 actually was better built, had a more solid feeling to it where the newer ones after the H1 looked and felt cheaper. I don't know if Sony was trying to save weight or just use more plasic, but the H1 felt and looked solid. The Canon S5is is like that H1 in build and why I bought it 7 months ago. As far as features goes, this H50 is pretty hard to beat.

Features? I also like the fact that when I want to be IN a group shot, I don't have to run to the group yelling smile... with the remote, I can take my sweet time taking the photo's.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:43 AM   #54

Hi Jack-

Yes, it is me, Sarah. Yes, those great Sony earphones. My husband loves them dearly. He uses them all the time. However, regarding photos, the Sony H-2 (at 6mp) was also a good digicam. The Sony H-5 (at 7.2mp) was a slightly better digicam. The Sony H-3 is a great digicam just due to its exceptional flash range.

A bit about my background. I am a digital camera teacher along with my husband. My husband and I do digital camera workshops on cruise ships, usually from 9 to 11 months each year/

I made an less than well thought out choice just before our last contract. I purchased the Nikon P-80 camera. It is a good, but not great digicam. It is sharp, but it does not do well at low light levels, in short, it takes some considerable finessing to get a really good photo from the Nikon P-80.

Naturally, in retrospect, the Sony H-50 would have been the better choice. Thanks for your photos, Jack. They very nicely show what the Sony H-50 can really do. My only regret is that the H-50 does not have a hot shoe, while the Canon S-5 does have a hot shoe. That external flash (such as the Sony 5600 flash or the Canon EX-430) can do marvelous things for a camera like the H-50 or the Canon S-5.

So here is my decision: I will wait. Perhaps there will be an H-60 with a hot shoe. That would make a powerful combination of camera and flash.

Sarah Joyce

Old Jul 30, 2008, 2:15 AM   #55

Wouldn't a slave flash do the trick? I have never been a fan of on camera flash anyway. I never used the hot shoe on the Canon s5is when I had it.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 6:12 PM   #56

Hi Jack-

Most of the slave flashes that I have seen are pretty under powered. I use a lot of bounce flashes. It is the almost ideal lighting strategy. So I guess it all depends on what you like and regularly use.

Here is a bounce flash example taken with my Sony A-300 and the Sony 5600 flash last night. And yes, there are those Sony Noise Cacelling Earphones that my husband, Bradley, is wearing in this photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:57 PM   #57

Hi Jack

First of i'm a firstimer in this and got the H50 as my first camera, your pictures with H50 is way better than what I have and if you have time kindly check my photos http://guidography.multiply.com/phot...rst_ever_shots

I also want to ask some tips about macro, I already used a tripod and dont know if i did the right settings for macro but I can't get the picture that you have for the watch. like the one that is really focused in the middle. if you can get me some trick and tips that would be great! thanks in advance.
Lexell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:22 AM   #58

Lexell wrote:
Quote:
Hi Jack

First of i'm a firstimer in this and got the H50 as my first camera, your pictures with H50 is way better than what I have and if you have time kindly check my photos http://guidography.multiply.com/phot...rst_ever_shots

I also want to ask some tips about macro, I already used a tripod and dont know if i did the right settings for macro but I can't get the picture that you have for the watch. like the one that is really focused in the middle. if you can get me some trick and tips that would be great! thanks in advance.
I will be glad to help. I was gone all day, so I will have to do this tomorrow.

Meanwhile look around this forum, you can get a lot of info on taking photos here too.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 8:46 AM   #59

Hi Jack,

I just want to know if setting ISO and Macro is possible... I'm really new with this, I saw some picture set with iso 80 so i was just wondering how to manually set ISO settings to 80, i tried to turn the options on top to ISO then tried the half click I always see on my lcd lwer left ISO2400 ISO 1600 and ISO2000, i wanted to know how to set this manually...

also I like the picture you took with the watch and I want to learn that hehe if it's ok for you to teach me this techiques. I would greatly appreciate it, Jack, I am really very new with photography, I think 1 week old hahaha and I normally do is click and shot then alight myself to the view that I want. if also you have some notes that i can read on about sony settings hehe thanks!

Lexell
Attached Images

Lexell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 9:12 AM   #60

Lexel, there is a lot of information at `The White Papers'. Try this link:

www.aakatz.com/whitepaper/
CB401 is offline   Reply With Quote