Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 8, 2008, 2:03 PM   #81

Thanks for the good wishes, Jack-

I will post some photos as soon as I receive the H-50 camera.

The H-50 camera arrived early this afternoon. Attached is the first photo that I shot with the camera. It is my husband Bradley. Lots to learn and get used to with the H-50. I will post more photos later.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 6:46 PM   #82

Jack-

Here is a macro or close-up sample from the Sony H-50. It is nice and sharp at the default setting, but it does show some barrel distortion.

The lens on the H-50 is obviously the camera's strong card. I find it pleasing sharp, even at the default settings.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 8, 2008, 7:34 PM   #83

Jack-

This is NOT my photo. Instead it is a photo that I found posted over on www.pbase.com. What is interesting is that it is a photo filled with the red color. Generally speaking, red is a difficult color for digital cameras to deal with in their normal operations.

The image did require some color and exposure correcting in a photo editing program (this time I used ACSsee Pro2). However the H-50 handled the red color quite nicely and although overhead artifical lighting was used, a good photo result occurred.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 8, 2008, 7:39 PM   #84

Now here is a photo especially for you, Jack-

This is NOT my photo, but one I captured from www.pbase.com from their Sony H-50 Library. It was taken from an Airbus A-320 aircraft at altitude. I think you will really enjoy this photo, Jack.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 8, 2008, 7:44 PM   #85

Finally, Jack-

Here is a lovely H-50 sunset photo taken in New Foundland. It is NOT one of my photos, but one fro www.pbase.com's H-50 library. It nicely shows really what the Sony H-50 is capable of and can achieve.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 8, 2008, 11:30 PM   #86

Sarah,

I see your having fun with your new camera! Wait till you start using the many features. Yep, reds are a tough color to photograph. Remember my red roses I was trying to shoot.

The airplane shot was cool. I have some similar ones I shot from my last trip, but that was with my wifes nikon L-18.

I think you'll find yourself underexposing on some shots like I was. If you just use auto, it tends to raise the ISO in lower lighting. I found to make sure I get the right shot I will use the auto setting and then flip it to the Program setting which has some presets like +contrast, +sharpness, -0.3 ev and set on 100 ISO. Sometimes auto is the best shot and sometimes the Program is the best. If I'm picky, I'll use the A or S mode and even manual. Oh yes... the flash is extremely powerful. You will have to turn that down for most indoor shots.

Keep the photos coming...
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 12:32 AM   #87

Yes, You are very correct, Jack-

I am having a great time with my new Sony H-50 camera. I am sure that I have not even touched on what it can really do. However, I am sure that my photos will progressively get better.

Here is another photo of my husband, Bradley. Once agin the photo quality and default sharpness of the Sony H-50 is breathtaking.

Sarah Joyce

Attached Images

Old Aug 9, 2008, 9:23 PM   #88

Hi Jack-

Here another nice Sony H-50 sample taken this afternoon from our back deck that looks down at the Pacific Ocean shoreline. It is just short of max zoom on the H-50. I hope that you enjoy it.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 9, 2008, 11:46 PM   #89

Sarah, It looks like you live in a slice of HEAVEN! Nice!

I had something unusual happen today. I was in the kictchen getting my coffee when ilooked out the window and I saw whatthought was a cat way out in the corner of my back yard. I got my binoculars and saw it was a HAWK. I never seen a hawk around here before! Anyway, these 3 pixs were shot from my kitchen window. It show the incredible range of the H50 zoom.

The frist shot shows no hawk, (red arrow instead) but shows the wide angle of my yard so you can see just how much I zoomed in.

The second shot was zoomed to the max, shot through my kitchen window.

3rd shot was the cropping to bring in the hawk and the power of having 9.1 megapixels.

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 12:17 AM   #90

Wow! Jack-

That is really an excellent capture. The three shot series shows an excellent progression in zoom with plenty of good detail and sharpness. You ought to be very proud indeed of that series, Jack! Well done!

In this case, the most probably overcast sky gave you a decided advantage with it very even light quality to it. You, good Sir, are getting better all the time.

Sarah Joyce