Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 8, 2008, 1:31 AM   #1

I see they have the review up for the Nikon P80, but not the Sony DSC-50 yet?
The Sony came out before the Nikon did too? What's up with that?
http://www.dpreview.com/ has it up already:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0802/08022502sonyh50.asp

I decided to get the Sony yesterday. I was picking between the Nikon P80 & Sony DSC-H50/B and after playing with both for over an hour, the Sony was clearly the better camera. Much sharper low light hand-held photo's and faster and crisper photo's. I like the remote for the Sony too and the flip out LCD which Nikon has neither of. I never forgot when I first bought the sony DSC-H1. That was a great camera... I used it for 2 years.

My camera before this new Sony? The Canon S5is
which I just sold today on craiglist. I tend to keep these cameras only 6 months at a time, then get the latest one out. The Sony H1 was the only camera I EVER kept longer than 6 months... it was that good. I thought I'd try the Canon S5is and it was a good camera, but I missed the Sony... so I got the latest one.

Once again I toyed with getting a DSLR, but it just doesn't justify the bulk and price, compared to these superzooms. Try packing around 3 lenses that will reach the 31 - 465 mm range that the DSC-50 has! With the loads of exposure control and a 15x stabilized optical zoom, this model is thousands of dollars cheaper than the equivalent options on a dSLR with an image stabilized lens. NOPE, no DSLR for me.

Now to go read the manual and play with the camera. My review on it with photo'swill be in next thread below.

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2008, 4:49 PM   #2

I decided to get the Sony last Saturday. I was picking between the Nikon P80 & Sony DSC-H50/B and after playing with both for over an hour, the Sony was clearly the better camera. Much sharper low light hand-held photo's and faster and crisper photo's. I like the remote for the Sony and the flip out LCD which Nikon has neither of. I never forgot when I first bought the sony DSC-H1. That was a great camera... I used it for 2 years.

My camera before this new Sony? The Canon S5is
which I just sold Saturday on craiglist. I tend to keep these cameras only 6 months at a time, then get the latest one out. The Sony H1 was the only camera I EVER kept longer than 6 months... it was that good. I thought I'd try the Canon S5is and it was a good camera, but I missed the Sony... so I got the latest one.

Once again I toyed with getting a DSLR, but it just doesn't justify the bulk and price, compared to these superzooms. Try packing around 3 lenses that will reach the 31 - 465 mm range that the DSC-50 has! With the loads of exposure control and a 15x stabilized optical zoom, this model is thousands of dollars cheaper than the equivalent options on a dSLR with an image stabilized lens. NOPE, no DSLR for me.

I was excited to get mine. Here is what to expect for those of you who plan to get one:

The BOX that I couldn't wait to open!!!

What you see when you first open the box:

What you see when you first open the box after taking the manual & software out:

What I got out of the box.

It's going to go well with my XPS notebook. I do a lot of on site photography at car shows:

My 3rd or 4th photo shown on LCD screen "crystal clear"!

This was the 3rd or 4th photo I took! Not bad at all. Resized for posting.

.... the properties (camera settings)

Old Jun 9, 2008, 7:03 PM   #3

The pics look to be excellent bro
Mr_legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 11:35 PM   #4

I really like the remote. You can control a lot of the camera's features with it.
How many times have you rushed the timer shots? With the remote, you can take the picture when your good and ready. Plus it is great when you hook up the camera to the TV!
A real PLUS!

Old Jun 10, 2008, 7:27 AM   #5

Very nice photos for a example of what it can do.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 8:53 PM   #6

I was at Barn & Nobles bookstore today and looked through several Photography magazines and didn't see any mention, let alone reviews of the Nikon P80 or Sony DSC-H50.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:47 AM   #7

These are soem of the pics I took woth my DSC-H2 :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Mr_legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:43 PM   #8

DELETED!
Old Jun 21, 2008, 11:41 AM   #9

I decided to start a new post... I'm posting new photo's in the photo area. These are the two new ones I posted there:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=592442&forum_id=90

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=592597&forum_id=90

Opinions?

Old Jun 23, 2008, 7:51 PM   #10

Jack, seen the great pics you have been doing with your H50...am thinking of getting one. I, too, can find no review of it...did find the 'facts' on it...which did help. I found out about the H50 by accident when looking for a smaller...oh well...camera...I have the H1...which is a great camera...and a few others...but, there are a few things that I would like that are not on that one or my others...namely the moveable LCD and high MGP 9.1 is pretty good when I think of macro flowers I like to shoot.
I also have the alpha 100 which I am still working on...had not done much with until I got a new diopter which helped my sight...
Which brings me to the question I had for you...is there a diopter adjuster on the h50, couldn't find it mentioned anywhere?

The LCD movability, the night vision(which I had on my 717 and liked), higher shutter speed, and higher ISO...are all big pluses...but, mainly it is the movable LCD. I loved the canons...but...shrug...

LLW
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote