Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 18, 2008, 6:27 PM   #11

Cyberf828 wrote:
Quote:
...I have alot into my Canon 30d sometimes I have questioned was it worth the price,...
If I add upall the $$$ I've spent on my current Olympus system +R1, +V3 + H1 + all other cameras I've bought and sold because I was not happy with them for one reason or another, I could have easily boughtone very good and expensive systemand be done with it. Those P&S cameras are convenient and practical and some produce real good images. However, they all have their limitations (even DSLRs have limitations). To me, the most important thing is to have fun with the photographic equipment we have (be an SLR or P&S). It does not do any good to have a very expensive camera + a whole bunch of lenses if they sit in the camera bag at home because it's just too much to carry around.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2008, 8:19 AM   #12

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Cyberf828 wrote:
Quote:
...I have alot into my Canon 30d sometimes I have questioned was it worth the price,...
If I add upall the $$$ I've spent on my current Olympus system +R1, +V3 + H1 + all other cameras I've bought and sold because I was not happy with them for one reason or another, I could have easily boughtone very good and expensive systemand be done with it. Those P&S cameras are convenient and practical and some produce real good images. However, they all have their limitations (even DSLRs have limitations). To me, the most important thing is to have fun with the photographic equipment we have (be an SLR or P&S). It does not do any good to have a very expensive camera + a whole bunch of lenses if they sit in the camera bag at home because it's just too much to carry around.

Very true. I just enjoy going out and shooting it really relaxes me. I am going out Friday to photograph all the flooding that happened in the last few weeks. Also Tullio heres my newest lens 70-200mm F2.8 IS. I should get some good shots Friday.

Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:39 PM   #13

Nice lense, Cyber. I'm sure you will capture some interesting images out there. Looking forward to seeing them when you return.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 4:56 PM   #14
TC3

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
TC3 wrote:
Quote:
You must have had a bad copy. I have returned 2 but this 3rd one is brilliant.
Humm, personally I have a problem with that. The question is, how many H50 cameras were you willing to try before giving upin case the third one was also not good? I understand thatthere is always a chance that a particular product comes out of the manufacturer with problems (ithappenswith cars all the time). However, when thebad to good ratio is too high, there is a more serious issue (IMO), which needs to be resolved. Either Sony's QA is poor or they are well aware that the H50 has quality inconsistenciesbuthave made the decision to shipitanyway and then deal with the returns later. So, at this point,it seems to me that itis pure gambling and Ichose not to play the roulette.
The feature set of the H50 was exactly what i was looking for. I had no problem returning the cameras to my local Sony store. If the 3rd was bad i was going to get a refund and try one from another batch from a different Sony store.

I agree not everyone would have been as persistent as myself but i have ended up with a great copy of a camera that suits my needs exactly and i could not be happier. It will act as travel companion to my dslr that will have a 10-17 fisheye attached and so i have all angles covered.

This is why i buy my gear from local store that price match internet prices whenever i can.
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 5:12 PM   #15

TC3 wrote:
Quote:
This is why i buy my gear from local store that price match internet prices whenever i can.
I wish there was a local store that would match Internet prices. We have very little competition around here, so prices are always much higher than most reputable online retailers.

Old Jun 21, 2008, 12:32 PM   #16

Cyberf828 wrote:
Quote:
Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Cyberf828 wrote:
Quote:

Very true. I just enjoy going out and shooting it really relaxes me. I am going out Friday to photograph all the flooding that happened in the last few weeks. Also Tullio heres my newest lens 70-200mm F2.8 IS. I should get some good shots Friday.

... and how often are you gonna pack that monster around? Not often! I take my H50 everywhere with me as not to miss any shots. ... and the H50 has TWICE the range as thet monster too. Nice lense, but not for me!
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 9:14 PM   #17

I, too, have a bunch of cameras...and it would depend on where I was going and what I was shooting to determine which camera I would take along with.
this shot of the race car I did a long time ago with the sony 717...without a tripod...now I would use one...and a lot longer lens to get more detail. But, that is sitting and not moving.

But, to hike and photograph flora and fauna of the forest? H1 every time. Even carry the 717 at times...still keep the alpha close...but, not on a long walk. Well, unless someone else has a bigger back pack.
Attached Images

lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 12:35 AM   #18

lisalonewolf wrote:
Quote:
But, to hike and photograph flora and fauna of the forest? H1 every time.
I too love my H1. It's a very reliable camera with an excellent lens (still don't know whether it's Zeiss or not since the name Zeiss is not on it). It has some limitations based on today's standards (ISO only up to 400 but noisy at 200, lots of PF, very slow flash recharge, only 5 MP, etc.). However, it take excellent pictures.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 1:36 AM   #19

finally got my new H50....here is a test edited to add...ISO 400 F3.5 S 1/60 handheld with my swing arm lamp for lighting, CRF bulb.
Attached Images

Old Aug 29, 2008, 2:09 AM   #20

I also have the same concerns as Tucu about the two fotos and focus...
oh, all I did here was shrink and crop. edited to add...ISO 80 F8 1/60 shutter priority
Attached Images