Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 10, 2008, 3:05 PM   #1

DSC-H3: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/H3/H3hSLI0100.HTM
DSC-H50: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...50hSLI0100.HTM

How can you explain such a big difference between the two photos ?
I was hoping that the H50 would be of a better quality than the H3 !

crop H3:

crop H50:

Tucu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2008, 5:17 PM   #2

My feelings exactly. I bought the H50 and returned it after 3 days. It appears that Sony has not resolved any of the H9 issues.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 5:25 PM   #3

Yikes :O After switching to DSLR I have a hard time going back to a point and shoot.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 12:08 AM   #4

I on the other hand, have the R1 and can't justify having an SLR. I went on vacation and left my E510 at home in favor of the R1.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 6:44 AM   #5

Tucu wrote:
Quote:
DSC-H3: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/H3/H3hSLI0100.HTM
DSC-H50: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...50hSLI0100.HTM

How can you explain such a big difference between the two photos ?
I was hoping that the H50 would be of a better quality than the H3 !

PLEASE NOTE: THE H-50 HAS NOT BEEN FORMERLY REVIEWED BY IMAGING-RESOURCE AT THIS TIME.

THE ABOVE QUESTION COMPARES A 'FINAL' H3 IMAGE WITH A 'PREVIEW' H50 IMAGE.

Tucu, please let us see these again when the H50 review by Imaging-Resource is completed.

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 7:46 AM   #6
TC3

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
My feelings exactly. I bought the H50 and returned it after 3 days. It appears that Sony has not resolved any of the H9 issues.

You must have had a bad copy. I have returned 2 but this 3rd one is brilliant. Little PF, sharp lens and decent iso 800. I have several pics on dpreview Sony forum that show this. From what many owners are saying the H50 has different better noise reduction that does not show the smearing of details the H9 had and the H50 suffers less PF and corner softness, also has a sports mode that actually works this time.

I shoot a Pentax dslr and have a mass of lenses yet this little H50 is brilliant performer. Do not take my word for it as there are quite a few saple pics floating about that show what this camera can do

Hey Tucu i agree that image is poor but that is nothing like the images i am getting. I returned 2 cameras that had a soft right side but the third is a fantastic camera for sure

TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:56 AM   #7

TC3 wrote:
Quote:
You must have had a bad copy. I have returned 2 but this 3rd one is brilliant.
Humm, personally I have a problem with that. The question is, how many H50 cameras were you willing to try before giving upin case the third one was also not good? I understand thatthere is always a chance that a particular product comes out of the manufacturer with problems (ithappenswith cars all the time). However, when thebad to good ratio is too high, there is a more serious issue (IMO), which needs to be resolved. Either Sony's QA is poor or they are well aware that the H50 has quality inconsistenciesbuthave made the decision to shipitanyway and then deal with the returns later. So, at this point,it seems to me that itis pure gambling and Ichose not to play the roulette.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 2:54 PM   #8

Cyberf828 wrote:
Quote:
Yikes :O After switching to DSLR I have a hard time going back to a point and shoot.
I disagree! I've use the Sony DSC-H50 for a couple weeks now and it's a fantastic camera! It has the fast shutter lag times: 0.17 seconds between shots.

DSLR would be nice, but for me it just doesn't justify the bulk and price, compared to these superzooms. Try packing around 3 lenses that will reach the 31 - 465 mm range that the DSC-50 has! With the loads of exposure control and a 15x stabilized optical zoom, this model is thousands of dollars cheaper than the equivalent options on a dSLR with an image stabilized lens. I take my Sony EVERYWHERE whereas I wouldn't take a DSLR out very much.
Check out my mini-review here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=28
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 4:13 PM   #9

I have an Olympus DSLR system and a few P&S cameras (Sony H1, V3, R1).They allserve their purposesdepending on the circumstances. I recently went to Hawaii on vacation and was debating which camera(s) totake. In the end, I opted for the R1 (top quality images with no need to exchange lenses under the always breezy Hawaiian weather) and the V3 (portability).I felt Imade the right choices. The question is, how good is it to have an expensive SLR system with various lenses to choose fromif in the end I leave it behind most of the time in favor of practicality and portability? Well, I guess I wouldn't do such a thing if it wasn't for the fact that I have the R1, which is w/o a doubt one of the best cameras I've ever had.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 8:19 AM   #10

I agree Jack the DSLR is quite expensive and I have alot into my Canon 30d sometimes I have questioned was it worth the price, But with but with all the point and shoots out there most not all being hit and miss on image quality and sometimes just getting a good model I perfer to use my DSLR, dont get me wrong I still own 5 Sony point and shoots. I even have a Sony H5 mounted to my motorcycle. :-)
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote