Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 22, 2008, 9:21 PM   #1

Hi All,

I think this was a once in a lifetime encounter for me.

My images have description explaining encounter:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickphoto123/sets/72157605762365927/

Try the slideshow.

Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2008, 6:28 PM   #2

Wow!!! I particularly like that last one.

Mercury
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 1:25 AM   #3

Neat shots! Aren't you glad you had the H-50! Not many cameras have a zoom like that... it use to be you had to have a expensive DSLR system to get a shot like that.

Keep on enjoying your Sony!
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 8:11 AM   #4

Thank you Mercury and Jack for your comments.

The H50 enabled me to zoom between branches in a manner that my DSLR would have required a lens change and possibly miss the moment.

The 3mp size enabled me to zoom closer and still get a 'good' image of a special moment. And as the event unfolded before me I was able to adjust my H50 for optimum performance quickly.

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 8:18 PM   #5

Nicholas,

I've been searching for info on the H50 and just came across your cardinal set...just wonderful! I've been somewhat of a bird watcher since my Mom started feeding them when I was in my teens...we always would identify whatever bird was at the feeder. This is certainly a sight to behold! Thanks for sharing.

Michelle
MichelleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:46 AM   #6

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
Thank you Mercury and Jack for your comments.

The H50 enabled me to zoom between branches in a manner that my DSLR would have required a lens change and possibly miss the moment.

The 3mp size enabled me to zoom closer and still get a 'good' image of a special moment. And as the event unfolded before me I was able to adjust my H50 for optimum performance quickly.

Nicholas
The biggest problem I have now with point and shoots vs DSLR is the IQ. Granted you have to change lenses and spend a arm and leg but when I take my photos I want it clear as a bell. Not knocking on your photos Nick just commenting on the DSLR part. You have caught some great photos with your H9 and H50.

Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 1:42 AM   #7

cyber-

It all comes down to how big a kit you care to carry. I have DSLR's and superzooms, and I generally carry the superzooms, unless I have my back up against the wall and need high ISO numbers with little or no noise.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:40 AM   #8

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
cyber-

It all comes down to how big a kit you care to carry. I have DSLR's and superzooms, and I generally carry the superzooms, unless I have my back up against the wall and need high ISO numbers with little or no noise.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah I agree.

My kit is a: Canon 30d, then lenses I carry are 28-135 basic kit lens, 70 -200, and 85 prime when I want the photos tack sharp.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 9:15 PM   #9

Cyberf828 wrote:
Quote:
nickphoto123 wrote:
The biggest problem I have now with point and shoots vs DSLR is the IQ. Granted you have to change lenses and spend a arm and leg but when I take my photos I want it clear as a bell. Not knocking on your photos Nick just commenting on the DSLR part. You have caught some great photos with your H9 and H50.

Well, I have the Sony H50... Once again before buying it, I toyed with getting a DSLR, but it just doesn't justify the bulk and price, compared to these superzooms. Try packing around 3 lenses that will reach the 31 - 465 mm range that the DSC-50 has! With the loads of exposure control and a 15x stabilized optical zoom, this model is thousands of dollars cheaper than the equivalent options on a dSLR with an image stabilized lens. NOPE, no DSLR for me.

I have friends who pack along thier DSLR's and I consistantly get better photo's. I'm shooting photo's while they're changing to the correct lense and thus missing some shot's that I'm getting. I also contribute to getting better shots to "Knowing" how to use the available equipment. Now I know for a fact that IF I had a DSLR outfit I would not be bringing it along everywhere I go and that means missed photo's and sometimes a missed shot of a liftetime, just like this thread, "Tough assignmnt for my H50" is talking about. And for some great shots!

Bottom line here is I rather have a "not so perfect" shot than a "missed" shotany time!

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:03 AM   #10

jack-

I actually agree with you. The ultra zooms have increased their image quality substantially. They now are cutting into the DSLR's territory. Yes there will indeed be situations, such as increased ISO in low level lighting situations where the imager size (smaller on the ultrazooms versus much larger for the DSLR cameras) does put the ultrazooms at a disadvantage. But for over all general usage, the ultrazooms still realistically have a place in the photo competition ring.

Here is a Sony H-3 sample photo:

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote