Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 25, 2008, 4:19 AM   #1
sdh

After buying a V3 ~3 years ago (which I promptly fell in love with) and an H1 for my wife,I sort of checked out and stopped tracking changes.

I've begun idly browsing for an upgrade to the H1 (am considering the H50)and noticed a few disturbingtrends, so maybe I need a reality check:

1) Do all thenew sony cams reallysupport only the smallerDuo MS cards? (in which case wow - thanks Sony for obsoleting the $$$ I spent on gig+ MS pro cards.)

2) Is the movie mode the same mpeg1, non-stereo recording as the cams from 4+ years ago? (I seem to recall many others moved up to better-quality video w/ stereo audio).

Can anyone confirm if I'm right? If yes, then I guess there's no reason to stick with sony (actually MS compatibility was the main reasonI chose the H1 over canon's peer at the time).

From what I can tell, it seems like the general trend (across the whole field not just sony) has been toward smaller cameras w/ smaller lenses, smaller sensors w/ more pixels & more aggressive noise suppression. I'm left feeling like the V3 & canon G6 were the pinnacle of the high-end P&S and despite some genuinely cool enhancements (like IS, face detection & AF performance in general) fundamental image quality has regressed. (I was reeeeally hoping for an 8-10 MP V5 w/ a big image sensor & bright lens, and Canon's post-G6 followups just made me cringe.)

Am I wrong? If so then I'd love to hear anyone's reply! But it seems to me that the only step up from my V3 now is an entry-level DSLR. (hmm, and since DSLR for now still lack movie capability, I'd have a use again for my old W-one! :-) )

peace,

-sdh
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2008, 8:05 AM   #2

Yes things have changed alot in the last few years with the point and shoots. Smaller cards and cameras. I for one have switched to a DSLR. I still have all my Sony point and shoots never leave home without my T1 and my H5 is mounted to my motorcycle so a camera is always handy.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:58 PM   #3
sdh

ok can someone just clarify one thing for me - do the new sony cams (H50 in particular) still support original-size MS cards or are they all MS-Duo only now?

thanks!
Old Jun 25, 2008, 9:10 PM   #4

The H50 is MS Duo or MS Pro Duo only.

They come with an adapter to enable use in MS products.

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:34 PM   #5
sdh

Thanks for the info Nick. Do they make an adaptor that enables you to use MS's in MS-Duo products? Joking obviously :angry:

Dear Sony - You get a BIG middle finger from me :evil::evil:

:flame::ak47::ak47::ak47::ak47: