Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 5, 2003, 4:21 AM   #1

Default Help... V1 depth of field capabilities

Need advise on how to shoot a portrait photo where the background is blurred and only the subject is in focus. Been trying to experiment with my V1 but can't seem to get the photo I want. I'm beginning to question the capabilities of the V1 if the camera can produce that kind of shot.

Thanks in advance guys!!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2003, 7:37 AM   #2

There is nothing wrong with the V1: All digital cameras have in common, that due to the small focal length they show a very large field of depth. Therefore the only thing you can do is setting the zoom to tele position and taking the picture with the largest aperture - which is 2.8 (or 4 at tele position) for the V1. A few cameras like the Canon G5 have a little larger apertures available (2 to 3) which should help somewhat for your purpose, but not to much. Film cameras by design allow for a much smaller field of depth, since their focal length (and thus the aperture) is by a factor 6 larger than that of a digital camera.

Rolf
Werninghaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 11:36 AM   #3

You're right about focal length, Werninghaus. The way I see it, the real issue is the imager size. That is responsible for the short focal length, and, in turn, the depth of field. The sensors in digital cameras are in almost all cases much smaller than frames of 35mm film. This effectively multiplies the focal length of the lens. Because the actual focal lenfth of the lens is so short, there's more depth of field than would be obtained from a lens on a 35mm camera with the same effective focal length. I'm not sure if the depth of field is multiplied by the same factor as the focal length, but it would make sense if it was.

Effective focal length = (35mm/width of sensor in mm) x actual lens focal length

I hope I'm right about this. Please don't hesitate to correct me if I'm not.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 3:58 AM   #4

I think you are absolutely right: the focal length of digicams is so short because the CCDs are so small compared to 35 mmm film. The typical focal length of a camera is about the size of the diagonal of the sensor, so its 50 mms for film and around 7-10 mm for digicams, depending on the size of the CCD.

Rolf
Werninghaus is offline   Reply With Quote