Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 5, 2003, 2:42 PM   #1

Default shutter speeds DSC-717

I have a DSC-717, and when I had it on auto mode, taking pictures on a sunny day, the shutter speed on some of my pics were 1250 and 1500. I believe that's as in 1/1500th second. However, when I have the camera set to adjust the shutter speed manually, I can only adjust it to 1/1000th. Anyone know why? Thanks
Michael
Mhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2003, 10:21 PM   #2

Michael

I have noticed the same thing. The Sony F717 can have a shutter speed up to 1/2000th of second. This can only happen with the auto modes for shutter speed. Sony has it set within the camera's program to only let the manual adjust of the shutter go to 1/1000th of a second. I know it would be nice to set it faster in the manual modes for shutter speed too. It is just something that Sony has done.

Hope this helps

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2003, 2:24 AM   #3

There is actually a reason for that. It relates to the iris mechanism in the camera. The camera is capable of going up to 1/2000 sec, but only at smaller apertures. It's unfortunate, because the big apertures, more so than the small ones, are when you want to have faster shutter.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 9:34 AM   #4

The aperature must be 5.6 or smaller for the shutter to go above 1/1000th. I understand that with a bigger aperature, the cameras shutter cannot "fill the large gap" fast enough.

Darrell
Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 6:30 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. But, I was just fiddling with my camera, and I cannot manually adjust the shutter speed above 1/1000 no matter what I have the aperature set to. I can understand not enabling it until the aperature is set properly, but in all modes, all aperature settings, the max I can get is 1/1000. Just curious
Michael
Mhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 10:19 PM   #6

For whatever reason, the programming won't let you set it to higher than 1/1000 in manual mode, even at small apertures. But if you use aperture priority, and you go to f5.6 or smaller, the camera can go up to 1/2000 if it needs to. I was able to make mine go to 1500 just now by spot metering on a light bulb in "A" mode with the aperture set to f5.6.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote