Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 10, 2003, 7:47 PM   #1

Default Flash brightness on 717

I am new around these parts, so please forgive me if this topic has already been discussed.
Does anyone else find that, even on reduced pwoer, the flash on the 717 is simply too bright. Mine makes daylight shots with fill in flash look like comic strip characters and it is quite hopeless for work withing 2 to 5 metres.
Ideas, anyone?
Thanks
Slioch
slioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2003, 8:53 PM   #2

slioch

Have you tried using the NightFraming option? When I use my flash at night with people, I like to use this. It gives me the best image over just selecting the flash itself. The NightFraming uses the NightShot and normal image data to figure out how to make the best image. I also leave the Red Eye Reduction on too.

Are you using an external flash also?

Oh, bye the way. It is ok to ask questions even if it has been discussed before. If it has been sometime, they can be hard to find in all the data on these pages. Hope you learn some really good tricks here, as I know I have. Thanks for joining us in the great data relm of Steve's Digicams.

Let us know if this works for you.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2003, 1:28 AM   #3

I'll try that trick Bill, thanks. I have yet to dare trying an external flash after hearing stories of scrambled cameras with guns having too high a trigger voltage. Must pluck up courage while the camera is still in warranty!
Slioch
Old Oct 11, 2003, 6:47 AM   #4

slioch

Ya, I know what you are saying. I have not tried an external flash either. I have read stories of the Sony flashes, the ones that work with this camera, giving tons of trouble. Some work, some don't, some might work part of the time.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2003, 1:51 PM   #5

Your last sentence sounds like a description of me that my Headmaster once wrote.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 3:17 AM   #6

Default Sony F717 flash

I grew tired of the limitations of the built-in flash and bought a Sunpak 383 Super. It does a remarkable job. Among the strong points, you can adjust it down to 1/16 power and use it even for close-up work, with excellent results. It also has a guide number of 120, the highest available in a hot-shoe flash. One note of caution however.... for some odd reason, the F717 won't reliably fire the flash is the camera battery falls below 40 minutes of remaining time.
P.S. Be sure to get a diffuser for the flash, such as a STO-FEN Omni Bounce.
swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 3:18 AM   #7

Default Sony F717 flash

I grew tired of the limitations of the built-in flash and bought a Sunpak 383 Super. It does a remarkable job. Among the strong points, you can adjust it down to 1/16 power and use it even for close-up work, with excellent results. It also has a guide number of 120, the highest available in a hot-shoe flash. One note of caution however.... for some odd reason, the F717 won't reliably fire the flash is the camera battery falls below 40 minutes of remaining time.
P.S. Be sure to get a diffuser for the flash, such as a STO-FEN Omni Bounce.
swan is offline   Reply With Quote