Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 11, 2003, 2:58 AM   #1

Default The super duper DSC-F707!

Ok guys,a few things here,have you noticed how many F707 picture get on Steve`s picture of the day!!!!,just goes to show what a great camera we all have.I got an e-mail back from sony yesterday,(i asked when would a 256 or 512 memory stick be avalable),they said that they have no plans to release a memory card higher than 128 meg at present
gary_hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2003, 7:02 AM   #2

Gary

I have the F717, and I love it. This series of cameras takes great images. Ya, but the images that I have submitted don't get selected, darn. Ya, I know, they do get over a thousand images a day for that. My friend bought the new Canon Digital Rebel, and, don't let the Canon people read this, I feel my Sony took images the matched the Rebel. Guess I am not going to spend more money right now on a new camera.

For memory cards, Sandisk and Sony both have a Select card out. It has two 128 mb cards on one. You move a selector switch to enable a side. Go to http://www.sandisk.com/consumer/memorystick.asp . They go over what the card can do. I think Lexar and Sandisk made a 256 mb card too, it was not a Pro, just a regular Memory Stick. I am having troubles finding them online though. I have used both Lexar and Sandisk cards in my camera, with great results.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 3:40 AM   #3

Default Sony 717

If you really want to know, have a look at www.BestFoto.com and then look at their statistics. The 707 is overwhelmingly the winningest camera, followed by the C2100 cult camera in second place. [The latter just goes to show its not the pixel count that makes winning pictures.]
cheers
kcemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 5:05 PM   #4

I also have a 707 and love it! My 707 has paid for itself, my printers and all accessories at least 4 times in a year and a half, literally.

I just purchased a Canon Digital Rebel (F707 financed I might add), I wanted to try a dSLR type camera. So far so good. I thought about selling my 707 and I have a very interested party, just can't bring myself to part with it though.

I do youth sports photography and both cameras seem to do very well. I posted in another thread that I do miss some shots from the shutter lag, but I have made plenty of dollars with the ones I have gotten. This is from learning your equipment and what you are shooting.

Since I do most of my photography outdoors, I decided my 707 was good enough and did not upgrade to the 717, however, the 717 is a great camera too. I just wish there were more lense options for them without having to buy the Sony Corp.

As for memory sticks ($70/each), I have three 128m sticks and they do fine, I can download them to my laptop and keep right on shooting. I finally had to use my second battery during an all day shoot, the batteries last quite a long time.

kcemb is right, it's the photographer, not the pixel count. However, the F707 has surely made up for my ignorance of photography.

I will also try to get the new 828 when available. That is if my wife does not shoot me first! :shock:

F707/F717 Rock!
BA63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2003, 7:52 PM   #5

BA63,

How is the Digital Rebel in low light situations? I've been looking for a digicam for well over a year now and it seems that I've found pretty much what I want in: 1) Sony's F828 and 2) Canon 300D.

I just don't know which one to choose. I would be shooting pix of cars and sports (soccer, football, and martial arts). As of now, both are the same price. That just adds to my indecision! Thanks.
mofo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2003, 3:27 PM   #6

Mofo13,

1) How is the Digital Rebel in low light situations?

Well so far it seems OK, however this is my first dSLR experience, just had it for a few weeks now. Like with any Digital Camera (SLR or Not) low light has always created a problem for me. The pixels seem to not be as well defined, especially at any distance.

With my F707 I have been able to shoot stills under BallPark lighting conditions with reasonable success. I have also done a few Night Frames that have been brilliant. The hologram AF is great with the Sony IMHO.

The CDR (Canon Digital Rebel) seems to perform nice at closer distances from my tests so far, but they have been limited to say the least. It seems the CDR has to pre-flash several times so the AF will work, this is also suppose to help with the RER (Red Eye Reduction) I suppose. All the reviews say yes to better low light performance, just haven't seen it yet, that does not mean it's not there it is probably my ignorance.

Now for Daylight conditions at the Baseball Field I have used the CDR and I can only say WOW what a difference dSLR makes, no shutter lag. With the 707 I had to always anticipate the event to capture. The lens options are incredible (yes I am one of those who wanted more zoom and lens options). I use the 75 to 300mm zoom and I can now get shots I only dreamed about with the 707, from a zoom perspective. From 1st to 3rd it does not matter now with the CDR.

I can see for Football the CDR will be instrumental in capturing the moment. I had a real hard time this year with the 707 shutter delay in getting those Quarterback passing shots and even the end runs were tuff.

I still have my eye on the 828 and will probably get one when the first batch has been in the market for a few months. I learned that from the 707 dark side issues early on. Sony got it worked out and eventually upgraded to the 717, but my 707 has shot perfect from day one. Hopefully the 828 has a quick shutter speed, which I am to understand it does. I really like Sony cameras but the lense options were a big nut to cover on price. Thankfully there was Raynox when I needed them for that. Most experienced photographers will tell you the SLR is the most important factor, maybe so, it's really quick, you have to be asleep to miss the shot.

The 300D is a great camera the CDR is a scaled down version of it's big brother it seems. So far I like the Rebel and as soon as t get more familiar with the new rascal I can probably be more help. Depending on your experience you can't go wrong with either choice IMHO.

Regards,

BA63

ooops forgot to mention - I am in no way comparing the 707 to the Dark Angel 828. I am sure it will blow the socks off of any prosumer model Digicam on the market today. I am only speaking from my limited experience in the past couple of years with the equipment I own and use. btw: I am keeping my 707, it still does a great job and will for at least a couple more years im figgerin!
BA63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 4:22 PM   #7
Administrator

Default Re: The super duper DSC-F707!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_hendricks
Ok guys,a few things here,have you noticed how many F707 picture get on Steve`s picture of the day!!!!,just goes to show what a great camera we all have.I got an e-mail back from sony yesterday,(i asked when would a 256 or 512 memory stick be avalable),they said that they have no plans to release a memory card higher than 128 meg at present
I don't know who you emailed at Sony but I have had a Sony Memory Stick Pro 512mb card for a while now. I also have a Lexar brand MSPro 256mb card that I got at least 2 months ago.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 9:03 PM   #8

"The CDR (Canon Digital Rebel) seems to perform nice at closer distances from my tests so far"

I had a post in the Sony forum here and someone reported the same thing. A little disconcerting but I guess that low light situations and flash effectivness seems to be a blanketing problem for digicams, if average cameras in general (in my hands anyways!). They admit to not being a pro-shooter but I'm not either so their experience meant more.

I would be shooting sports (football, soccer, and martial arts) and cars mainly. I pretty much decided to pick up either the F828 or CDR for these events and then get a cheaper digicam to use as a point and shoot camera for parties and such. It seems I couldn't go wrong either either the F828 or the Digital Rebel. I'll probably just wait until the F828 production model comes out and passes thru people's hands. I'll miss out on the $200 off SonyStyle is offering now on the F828 though.

thanks for the info, BA63!
mofo13 is offline   Reply With Quote