Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:46 AM   #11

With all Sony camera I use almost always the P mode, you can setting ISO, flash, ev, WB, etc.
Sometimes Sport Mode that in good light is exellent.
Other program, Manual, SCN, landscape or portrait... I never use.
High ISO mode is good but I prefer manual setting the ISO in P mode.
After I use Gimp or iPhoto for clean my pictures.
Bye
Chris
justaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:46 AM   #12

Double thread, excuse me.
justaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2008, 1:03 PM   #13

That is pretty darn good for hand held. This Sony can do it. I did warn people in my other post that the Sony flash was very powerful. LOL

Zig wrote:
Quote:
Here's what the camera did in my hands (note I'm not blaming the camera).

Full stage from our spot 22 rows back:

A few candids

1)

(2)

(3)

Something I wish to learn:

Is there a way with this P-n-S to stop the movement of the drum sticks while maintaining full focus under existing light?

Full view shot was 1/60, 4.5, 400

Candids at 1/80, 4.5, 400
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2008, 7:37 PM   #14

Zig-

I have already answered this particular facet of your question earlier. Perhaps you did not really understand my answer. Unfortunately, when you were "gifted" with a great photo opportunity - the Japanese drum band, you made some very incorrect/ and somewhat mistaken desisions about how how to set-up your H-50 camera. That is not Jack's fault, nor is it even your own fault. It is most probably was the direct result of some personal inexperience with the Sony H-50camera.

We get the most out of our cameras when we become more familiar with that camera. It is not Jack's fault nor your fault. Instead, it is really a matter of yourinexperience with a brand new camera to you, the Sony H-50.

Zig, please be a bit more adult and reasonable.Just acknowledge that you were indeed, somewhatinexperienced with your very new purchased Sony H-50. We are all here to help you get the very best photos from your new and rather complicated H-50 camera. However, if you continue to hammer and harague us, nothing will really be accomplished at all, we are willing to help andthat will improve your photography skills with the Sony H-50 camera.

So Zig, we are willing and ready to help you in every way possible. However, that becomes/means nothing, unless you are willing to listen and learn a bit moreabout the wonderful Sony H-50 camera. The H-50 is indeed a very capable camera, and we only want to help you, Zig. The decision is entirely up to you.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2008, 9:56 AM   #15
Zig

Sarah - I'm somewhat taken aback by your post.

The thread was meant as a light-hearted topic to share an experience I had. Jack obviously understood my angle (thank you for understanding emoticons and typed emotional convenance Jack); I'm truly sorry you seemto have taken it completely the wrong way. (many days after you responded the first time)
Quote:
Zig, please be a bit more adult and reasonable.Just acknowledge that you were indeed, somewhatinexperienced with your very new purchased Sony H-50. We are all here to help you get the very best photos from your new and rather complicated H-50 camera. However, if you continue to hammer and harague us, nothing will really be accomplished at all, we are willing to help andthat will improve your photography skills with the Sony H-50 camera.

All due respect, it may be best suited of you re-read my posts here. I'm not quite certain.......no, I'm 100% certain I have no idea what prompted this reply. I believe "take note I'm not blaming the camera" speaks loud and clear for my level of responsibilty, experience level and admission of respect for the knowledge base here.

Just to clarify my willingness to learn - I have taken every one of your suggestions and applied them. I had all intentions of sharing them - for myself and any other reader's learning curve(s) - however, if you expect me to accept spoon fed information as gospel without trying to gain a complete understanding of its application you have me confused with a fool. You pegged me 180ยบ in the wrong direction Sarah, and quite frankly it has me questioning your ability todeal withsomeone who has the ability to reason and ponder. I hope I'm wrong.

I have more questions about shooting low light,action shots with the H50.....................is it safe to question your recommendations?

Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:12 AM   #16
Zig

Quote:
That is pretty darn good for hand held. This Sony can do it. I did warn people in my other post that the Sony flash was very powerful. LOL

Thanks Jack - both for understanding the intial post was light-hearted andfor the kudos. I can't claim hand-held shooting however. These pics were done with the camera screwed into a monopod.

What I'm finding myself doing is reaching for this camera as the primary. It was purchased to do what we couldn't do with the W300, yet it has evolved to be the other way around.
Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2008, 5:48 PM   #17

Zig-

I guess that I most probably tookyour commentsincorrectly. I also failed to understand the toungue in cheeck quality of your humor. So, you have my sincere apologies. The Sony H-50 is a good and very capable camera.

I am no oracle at all, Zig. Even though I have been a very hard working camera enthusiast for 55 years, I am always willing to learn and to modify my techniques, even though I have professionally instructed in all of the many realms of photography for the last 27 years.

So, let's put the past behind us and press on with getting the very best photos. It is now up to you to take this discussion in whatever direction you might desire, Zig.

Happy Holidays to you!

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:28 PM   #18

Zig, mtclimber;

I'm glad that is resloved.

mtclimber Sarah,
is a very nice person and knows a lot more about photography than I do. I've enjoyed our time on this forum.

Zig, Over time you will really enjoy what the Sony H50 can do. Sophisticated cameras like that take some time to learn everything.
It took me awhile to learn it as you can tell by my very long & popular post on the H50, 168 threads & 23,001 views!!!

Mostly though, it is learning what any camera can do and use it as a tool to achieve the end results and hopefully having fun doing it. I sure do!

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 2:24 AM   #19

Many thanks to you, Jack-

It was you who had the gumption to begin this Sony H-50 thread. No,the Sony H-50is not exactly a perfect camera, but it can do a hellava lot, it seems to geta lot ofgreat photos, all along the way!

So a big tip of the hat to you Jack! With each passing month this thread gets a bit better and seems to create an enlarging challenge for all of us. I remain very willing to exchange ideas and techniques as we all increase our knowledge of the Sony H-50 Camera.

Happy Holidays to all readers of this thread, but especially to you Jack!

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 21, 2008, 5:36 AM   #20

Mt Climber, Jack,

In my part of town a refurbished H50 unit is on special, for about $300, would you recommend buying this unit or rather wait to buy the more expensive Lumix TZ28.

I understand the H50 is rather quirky and not as good as the Lumix.
ttan98 is offline   Reply With Quote