Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 21, 2008, 11:40 AM   #21

ttan-

There are a lot of bits of information that have be gathered, before we can provide informationthat will apply to your personal situation.

(1) Where do you live?

(2) What kind of photos do you take?

(3) Do you take a lot of flash photos?

(4) From your post, apparently the H-50, that you have located is a used camera. Is it in good condition? Is the seller offering any guarantee?

Generally speaking, both the Sony H-50 and the Panasonic FZ-28 are very good cameras. If the majority of your photos were taken in a low light level photo environment that would also play into your decision as well. Here in the USA a brand new H-50 can be purchased from a very reputable dealer for less than $(US) 300.00, and you will get a full year's guarantee and a never used camera.

So could we please can we have some more information? Thanks!

Happy Holidays!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 3:26 PM   #22

Thanks for your response, more info found here.

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
ttan-

There are a lot of bits of information that have be gathered, before we can provide information¬*that will apply to your personal situation.

(1) Where do you live?
Australia

(2) What kind of photos do you take?
Novice photographer, I have a Canon A590IS
but I want a camera to COMPLEMENT this camera

(3) Do you take a lot of flash photos?
Not really, use them on holidays and special
occasions, day or night.

(4) From your post, apparently the H-50, that you have located is a used camera. Is it in good condition? Is the seller offering any guarantee?

It is refurbished sold by Panasonic with warranty.
New camera costs AUD$549, refur. about AUD$300

Generally speaking, both the Sony H-50 and the Panasonic FZ-28 are very good cameras. If the majority of your photos were taken in a low light level photo environment that would also play into your decision as well. Here in the USA a brand new H-50 can be purchased from a very reputable dealer for less than $(US) 300.00, and you will get a full year's guarantee and a never used camera.

So could we please can we have some more information? Thanks!

Happy Holidays!

Sarah Joyce
ttan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 5:39 PM   #23

ttan-

Many thanks for your reply post. Based on my own experience with both the FZ-28 and the H-50, I would say that either camera could easily serve your needs quite nicely. Yes, I agree that the FZ-28 is a bit more straight forward, and has a better menu structure. The FZ-28 is also a small bit sharper than the H-50.

However, the H-50, using the "High ISO" selection on the Mode Selector is capable of effectively using higher ISO settings, while the FZ-28 is limited to about ISO 800.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 21, 2008, 7:08 PM   #24

Well, my two cents worth... I tried the Canon s5is, Nikon P80 & FZ-28 when I was checking out the Sony H50 and in my opinion, at least for me and I'm very picky, the Sony H50 was the best camera. Other than a DSLR, I still think the Sony H50 is the best one out there since I got it a few months back.

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:56 PM   #25

Thanks Sarah and Jack.
ttan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 9:41 PM   #26

Okay, Sarah and Jack...I am new to this forum and was just reading through your postings to see if I could educate myself a bit on this new Sony H50. My first questions is: have you noticed that the lcd screen is like blurry and takes a moment to focus before taking the pictures? Also when reviewing the pictures...if you flip through them, initially they are blurry and then go sharp and clear for you to view. Is this something normal in this camera to do this ?

Then, my second question is....my daughter does gymnastics. To take the best pictures whille performing...instead of using the Auto Mode, should I use the P mode and set the ISO and shutter speed to the highest ? And of course turn the flash OFF since no flash photography is allowed.....
Meina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 10:07 PM   #27

Meina

Okay, Sarah and Jack...I am new to this forum and was just reading through your postings to see if I could educate myself a bit on this new Sony H50. My first questions is: have you noticed that the lcd screen is like blurry and takes a moment to focus before taking the pictures? Also when reviewing the pictures...if you flip through them, initially they are blurry and then go sharp and clear for you to view. Is this something normal in this camera to do this ?
Yes, perfectly normal. It is just a fraction of a second it does that.

Then, my second question is....my daughter does gymnastics. To take the best pictures whille performing...instead of using the Auto Mode, should I use the P mode and set the ISO and shutter speed to the highest ? And of course turn the flash OFF since no flash photography is allowed.....
I never use the Auto mode. I use the P mode a lot, but in your case, I'd use the Shutter (S) mode and set the ISO to not higher than 400-800 or it will be too noisy. The reason I pick the S mode is so you can control the movement in gymnastics.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 11:02 AM   #28

However, sometimes you dearly want that photo and are willing to reduce the image quality a bit, as there is no other way to capture that photo. That is when you would select "High ISO," and accept the result.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 9, 2009, 4:24 AM   #29

Default Sony H50 ISO

Hi,
I am new user for Sony H50. I want to change ISO to 800 or 1600. But i can only select 80 to 400. May i know is there anyway to change ISO setting? Thanks.
halfmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:14 AM   #30

Half Moon-

The "High ISO" setting is found on the Sony H-50's Mode Selector.

Sarah Joyce