Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 29, 2008, 9:28 AM   #1

I have a DSch2 and the flash isn't working. I can't even select flash on my screen. I see 3 tiny rectangles blinking but don't know what it means.
maryccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2008, 1:00 PM   #2

Hi Mary-

Let's see if we can help you with the flash problem that you are having with your Sony H-2 camera. Be sure you begin with fresh batteries. Then turn the camera on. Once the H-2 powers up, turn the Mode Selector to P for Program, when you look at the LCD screen no flash data will be shown on the LCD screen. Now go to the H-2's four way controller. You will notice that the top, or the button at the 12 o'clock position, is marked with a lightening bolt, meaning this is the button where your flash is adjusted. When you push that button forthe first time, a single lightening bolt appears on the LCD screen with the words, "Flash On."

Now push the same button on the four way controller a second time, again Slow Synch will appear on the LCD Screen. When you push the button a third time, you will see the flash off symbol, and the words, Flash Off. When you push that same button for the fourth time, it will say Flash Auto.

Because we are going to check the flash, we will turn the cameraOFF. Then be sure that the Mode Selector is in the P for Program Mode. Fully power up the H-2 camera. When every thing is powered up, push that 12 o'clock button on the four way controller several timestill you get that single lightening bolt and the words, Flash on.

Now take a photo normally. The flash should pop-up and fire when the shutter is depressed. If it does not there is a problem with your H-2 camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 1:42 PM   #3

maryccc wrote:
Quote:
I have a DSch2 and the flash isn't working.* I can't even select flash on my screen.* I see 3 tiny rectangles blinking but don't know what it means.
Sounds like you are in burst mode, or multiburst mode,

In either case the manual makes it quite clear (page 41) that flash is forced off when those modes are selected.

Don't have the H2 but the H1 when in those modes will show the forced off flash symbol, and the burst mode symbol will flash and an error beep will sound when you try to turn the flash on.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 1:52 PM   #4

Thanks Sintares-

That is an excellentpoint (Burst Modes) that I did not think about. Thanks for the added help.

Sarah Joyce

Old Dec 30, 2008, 5:27 AM   #5

You were right. I can't believe how dumb I was. I know nothing about my camera.
maryccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:58 AM   #6

Hi Mary-

I am glad that we were able to help. The Sony H-2 is an excellent camera. I have two of them that I lend out tothe students in my digital camera classes. Does that mean that your interest in a consumer level DSLR camera has waned, or is it still going forward??

Sarah Joyce