Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 1, 2009, 9:06 PM   #1

I just got a Sony Cybershot H50 and I'm having some issues that I hope someone can help me with. When I take pictures, I'm noticing that when I crop in on them or even zoom in on them in the review on the camera, the pics are very "grainy". The detail is not there and they have the resolution of almost a cell phone pic. Could anyone tell me what might be the problem. I'm thinking there is a setting that I'm missing or something. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks, Robyn.

PS Also, what is the purpose of the lens adaptor and lens hood?
robynhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2009, 7:25 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi Robyn,

Welcome to Steve's.

There are a few things that this could be. Are you set to the 9mp image size or one of the smaller ones? Are you shooting in low light, if this is the case then the camera is probably increasing the ISO to make the camera more sensitive but reduces quality quite noticeably at higher settings.

If these don't work we will try to come up with something else.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:52 AM   #3

Hi! Thank you so much. Yes, I did change to the 9mp image. The pics I noticed this happening to were pics that I took in the house. I did notice the outdoor pics had much better quality. Is there anything I can do to fix the ISO problem, or is that just a standard setting? I thank you sooooo much for your help My husband bought this camera for me as a Christmas present and I'm so trying to love it lol.
robynhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:29 AM   #4
Super Moderator

You are welcome.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"You can try a few things, set a lower ISO, this will mean you get a slower shutter speed so you might end up with blurred images. Also, if you use less zoom then the lens is 'brighter' (the aperture is wider) letting in more light and thus allowing a lower ISO so less noise. Also when shooting indoors using flash the further away you are then the harder the flash has to work so less light gets there again meaning that the ISO has to be increased.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"See how that goes. I'm sure you will enjoy the camera once these things are ironed out, I wouldn't complain getting one as a Christmas present, it beats socks LOL.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:53 AM   #5

I own and use a Sony H-50. Like Mark said be sure you are in the 9mp mode and set the ISO to Auto. Any indoor photo like inside your home will require use of the built-in flash. Yes, by selecting the High ISO Mode on the Mode Selector you can take photos inside. However, the will be grainy and show the traditional High ISO characteristics.

The LCD on the H-50 is OK, but not great. Down load you photos and take a look at them on your computer.

Happy New Year!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote