Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 2, 2009, 8:19 PM   #1

Was wondering if anyone has any low downs on Sony if they are coming out with anything new this year or next, was curious as I own the H50 thought they will probably continue the H line of cameras.
Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2009, 7:35 PM   #2

Canadian-

The HX-1 is due out in mid May. It uses a CMOS imager like the Canon SX-1, and it is priced $100 cheaper than the SX-1. I will be watching its introduction, and hope that it will be more successful than Canon's SX-1.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 6:11 PM   #3

I just looked at the specs on this new Sony and it looks like a good one. I know that Sony doesn't care but I will not be able to seriously consider it due to the memory stick thing. I just have too many SDHC cards around to switch to the Sony system at this point.

Still, it's going to be interesting to see if they got it right with good stills and good HD video with zoom and good sound.

These super zooms are going to get more interesting as new features are added. The Panasonic FZ28 is loaded with features for stills but is pretty weak in the video department.
Valley Quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 7:28 PM   #4

Thanks you both, i see it has the Sony lense though i like the Carl Zeuse lenses
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:30 AM   #5

Canadian-

Sony manufactures all of their lenses. If they use a Carl Zeiss formula they pay a license fee and use the Zeiss name. If they develop the lens themselves as they did on H series cameras, it is labeled "Sony." The lenses are coming out of the same shop and are manufactured to the same tolerances.

Personally I have never had any complaints at all with Sony labeled lenses. As a professional digital camera instructor I have pretty high expectations and the lenses have always been great.

However, the choice is entirely yours!

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 16, 2009, 12:02 AM   #6

There is a big difference in lenses I bought my daughter a 7.1MP sony camera last year her pictures were not that good,was wondering why my 5.1 W1 was so much better she had the sony lense and my W1 had the Carl lense as does my H50, unless Sony has improved there lense I will stick with the Carl lenses
Old Apr 20, 2009, 8:20 AM   #7

I have the very first Sony H series (the H1), which has a "Sony" branded lens and it's been one of my best performers. Images are sharp and colors are well saturated. IMO, the H1/H2 are two of the best among the H series (with the H2 being even better than the H1). IQ is not only associated to the lens. There are other factors that can affect IQ greatly. Manufacturers keep increasing MP with the same sensor size and that alone can degrade IQ.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 10:05 AM   #8

You are very, very correct, Tullio! It good to hear from you again.

Sarah Joyce