Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 5, 2009, 5:48 PM   #1

I have a Sony DSC-H5 and recently almost all my photos that I take indoors are terribly blurry. I know I must have set something by accident that is causing this because I never had this problem before. Ican upload a couple of examples, but I am not sure how to reduce the file size and retain all the shooting info.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks!

hsgram
hsgram is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:28 AM   #2

It's always very helpful to see the image and the EXIF data otherwise it becomes a guessing game. You can try Picasa (free photo editor software from Google). Once you install Picasa, it will automatically recognize all image files you have saved. In Picasa, you can then enhance your image using the many controls it offers and when you're done, go go File/Export Picture to Folder. Choose a location and select the button "Resize to". Move the sliding bar to the 640 pixel mark and Image Quality to 100 and click OK. Check the exported image to make sure it's no bigger than 244Kb or you will not be able to upload it here. If it's bigger, delete the image and repeat the process but this time reduce the Image Quality to 95 (one bar to the left). This should do the trick. The you can post the image.

Going back to yoiur problem, when you shoot the picture, does it look focused on the EVF/LCD? If so, make sure IS is switched ON. Place the dial in P mode, set the ISO to AUTO and try a few shots. If they are still blurry, you may have a focus problem but we can tell for sure until you post an example.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2009, 4:18 PM   #3

Wow, thanks for the tip about Picasa. I have uploaded two files that are typical examples of what is happening indoors.

The pictures seem to look okay when viewed on the LCD. I will try setting the camera to P and setting ISO to auto.

Thanks,
hsgram
Attached Images

Old Apr 7, 2009, 4:18 PM   #4

Here's photo 2
Attached Images

Old Apr 7, 2009, 8:56 PM   #5

I've downloaded only the first image since it was the worse of the two. By looking at it, one can tell that the problem is not related to the AF system but motion blur. The EXIF data indicates that you shot the picture with shutter speed of 1/8. This is way way too slow for handheld photography unless you have very steady hands or use a tripod. Thus, you need to increase the speed. Since the aperture is wide open (f2.8 ) the only way is by increasing the ISO to say 400. What I find strange is the fact that flash was used, which should have triggered a much faster shutter speed.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 12:03 AM   #6

Could I have set something incorrectly that would be making this happen? As I said earlier, I never had this problem until about 2 months ago. The only thing I can remember doing is trying to shoot a photo in low light by changing the ISO setting. However, I thought that when I set the dial back to Auto, this was ignored.

I shot these photos with the camera set to Auto and I took other photos within a short time and about half were fine. All my outdoor shots are great.

Do you think there is something wrong with the camera or could I have something set incorrectly? I am at a loss as to what I should do.

Thanks,
hsgram
Old Apr 8, 2009, 12:37 AM   #7

The issue here is certainly related to slow shutter speed (the second image the shutter was even slower). The question is why, considering that flash was used. I just got my old H1 out and did a quick test. I'm in my study in dim light condition. If I set the camera to AUTO mode and flash auto, as I pre-focus I see the shutter being set to 1/50 and the aperture to f3.2. As I turn the flash off, the shutter immediately drops to 1/8, which is how it should be since there is very little light. In your case, it's almost as if the camera is not recognizing the flash, in other words, even though the flash is on, the camera still thinks it's not. You can try a few shots as tests.

1, Set camera to P, ISO 400 and AUTO flash
2. Set camera to P, ISO AUTO and AUTO flash
3. Set camera to P, ISO 400 and NO flash.

Write down the shutter/aperture combination as you pre-focus. Make sure the IS is ON and set to Shooting.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 1:43 PM   #8

Thanks, I will try what you suggest as soon as I have time and let you know the results.

Thanks,
hsgram