Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 29, 2003, 11:08 AM   #1

Default Card read error on 717 . DO you use a card reader?

My 717 went back to Sony to correct the "Card read Error" which is seems is a common failure mode on this camera. It seems possibly to be something to do with the contacts between the camera and the Memory Stick. I always remove the stick and plug it into a card reader to transfer files to my pc.
I wonder if this constant removal of the card from the 717 has contributed to the problem.
Could anyone who has had the Card Read Error on a 717 comment on whether they use a reader or whether they plug into the cameras usb port.
This might give a clue as to whether constant card removal is a factor in this failure mode.
kcemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2003, 9:09 AM   #2

I bought a Lexar Memory stick and when I put it in I got the "card read error" message. I turned the camera off, took the stick out and put it right back in and it read the card just fine. Go figure? It's happened one other time using the Lexar stick, but not the Sony sticks. I use the USB conection to off load my pictures.
magicmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 1:48 PM   #3
NHL

If I recall correctly the F717 was the 1st camera designed to 'auto-detect' between the standard and the 'Pro' MemorySticks... Theses two formats are not compatible and the camera might be thinking it's one over the other.

Just wonder aloud may be the camera is thinking it's an MS-Pro stick instead of a standard one or vice versa.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2003, 5:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
If I recall correctly the F717 was the 1st camera designed to 'auto-detect' between the standard and the 'Pro' MemorySticks... Theses two formats are not compatible and the camera might be thinking it's one over the other.

Just wonder aloud may be the camera is thinking it's an MS-Pro stick instead of a standard one or vice versa.
The card read error is not uncommon on the Sony 717 and is sometimes corrected by just removing the stick and replacing it. It is reported that sometimes cleaning the stick contacts works, and sometimes blowing into the camera stick socket with clean air works. But sometimes nothing works. My conclusion is that it is probably a contact problem. Whatever, my camera was definately taken apart by Sony as evidenced by my address label on the camera base being neatly cut along a parting line of the camera. So I don't think it was a firmware problem.

The reason I posted originally was to help me decide wether the fault is a result of regular removal and replacement of the stick, to put it in a card reader. I do this to avoid wear and tear on the tiny usb connection on the camera, but perhaps the usb connection is more robust than the card connection, and maybe I should remove the card from the camera less often. Sadly there has been little response to my question.

I also thought the post would be a useful change to the bitching and bragging about who has the best camera [penis substitute ] that seems to occupy so much space on these forums [fora?].

cheers
kcemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2003, 8:51 AM   #5
NHL

I agree that the firmware is not the issue, but faulty acknowledgement of the right card type by wear or oxidation of the electrical contacts, can fool the firmware into thinking it's a different type (may be a default of always standard MS setting and never attempt an MS Pro communication)!

This is a catch 22 situation since with the smaller sized cards, one tends to wear the contacts more by exercising this in and out friction more often...

cheers
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2003, 1:47 PM   #6

My DSC 717 reads the Sony memory stick but not a Lexar so now I always use the USB connection and have had no further problems. :lol:
geoff.rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 10:18 AM   #7

I use a card r/w and until now i didn't have any problem.
For me it's easier because i always carry the reader and my pc portable to transfer images.
Besides that i don't need to plug the camera unless i need to charge the battery.

Greetings,
LM
luis_armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 6:36 PM   #8

Strange. My 717 and 707 before read Laxar and Sony sticks no problem. I don`t see the point of a card reader. Plug the camera in and it automatically downloads with the software supplied. I only change sticks when 1 is full and I`m still in the field. I`ve never ever had a problem

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote