Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 21, 2009, 6:16 PM   #11

Thanks for posting those shots, Sarah. It's difficult to pick one over the other because the FL is different between the shots. The H2 image appears to be sharper, with more definition but the subject is closer than on the other two pictures. Even the H50 image looks better than the HX-1. I downloaded the pictures but they have no EXIF information.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 6:29 PM   #12

Just taking the proverbial unscientific look at Sarah's unscientific comparison test, I'd have to agree with the order that she places them. But, as Tullio says, the distance between camera and subject varies. And the H2 and HX1 shots are almost a toss up. But Sarah admittedly was just trying to get something up quickly for us. I'm sure there'll be more/better later.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 8:03 PM   #13

Hi Tullio and Biro-

Those photos were taken right from my desk, so the distance is exactly the same, although the zoom index might vary somewhat.

I am intently writing lectures (hey that is the stuff that pays our bills!) for an rapidly upcoming, and last minute contract, I decided to take a break from writing and creating to quickly shoot these photos for you, as I cautioned: This was not an official test at all. It was a quick look, and nothing more.

I sincerely believe that consideration of the HX-1 is LARGER that just lens resolution. The HX-1 is a camera offering some features that have never been available before such as hand held panoramas, the unique twilight mode, and the ability to overlay six photos to achieve the very best resolution and IQ. No, It is not a DSLR costing thousands of U.S. Dollars, it is a rather sophisticated P & S camera that costs $(US) 440.00. And I believe that you have to see the HX-1 in that perspective.

Please take a moment to consider this: What camera can you name that can take a pano like this one and process it entirely in the camera? There is no DSLR camera of any price that can do that! The photo was taken during a recent contract in Australia, right after I purchased the camera. So I am not saying it is perfect at all. I am just pointing out that it is a feature that you don't find on many cameras of any kind.

And my final point: I do NOT see the Sony HX-1 as the blooper that the Canon SX-1 turned out to be. In contrast, I see the Sony HX-1 as a new starting or beginning point for Sony, that I sincerely hope that they will expand upon rather quickly.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; May 21, 2009 at 8:10 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 9:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Hi Tullio and Biro-

Please take a moment to consider this: What camera can you name that can take a pano like this one and process it entirely in the camera?
Sarah Joyce
Excellent point. BUT, creating a pano in post processing is about 2 minutes of work for a result that will be of similar quality (by that I mean the quality of the stitching effort done by the camera or computer). A definite boon to people that hate to use post processing. But not a reason, IMO, to choose one digicam over another for an advanced user. Of course I make a presumption that advanced users will have some interest and knowledge about post processing.

By all accounts, this is a fine camera - but the pano creation, much like taking in-camera B&W isn't that great of a feature for advanced users. Or do you think this camera is aimed at the entry level consumer and not the advanced consumer?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 9:39 PM   #15

You make an excellent point, JohnG-

This is a $(US) 440.00 camera that does a whole lot. No, it will never take great sports photos like you so easily take, but for the family shooter it offers a step up, while at the same time being very easy.

I have been surprised that the photos come out of the Sony HX-1 needing very little post processing. I have been impressed by the Twilight Mode. Yes, it is at the upper end of the price scale, but it is not an investment that will take your breath away.

In short: Its a darned good family camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 22, 2009, 12:05 AM   #16

Please don't get me wrong, folks-

I am not attempting to market or "sell" the Sony HX-1 camera, at all. Rather, I wanted to call your attention to a rather unique camera with some unusual features.

How good are those so called "unusual features?" Well, to be honest, I am not really sure. I am learning right along with everyone else.

As we move along, I will post samples of those so called "unusual features." Will i keep the HX-1 camera. To tell the truth, I have not yet made up my mind. If I decide to get rid of it, you will find in on E-Bay or Craig's List. But, none the less I was willing to take a chance and to tell you a little about my experiences with the very new Sony HX-1 camera and to share with you a few thoughts about some rather new technology that has come along..

Sarah Joyce
Old May 22, 2009, 12:26 AM   #17

Absolutely, Sarah! I understand completely what you're saying and the HX1's position in the camera universe. I have a DSLR and superzoom point-and-shoots aren't DSLRs. But they're fun, convenient and can offer fantastic flexibility where one can't take a DSLR.

I played with an HX1 at B&H a couple of weeks ago and it felt wonderful in hand. I really want to like it but I can stick with the tried and true FZ28 from Panasonic if the Sony doesn't really deliver the goods. Time will tell, right?

Thanks so much for taking the time to take and post those images. We look forward to your experients to come.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 1:20 AM   #18

I did not say that the distance was different between the three shots, but the FL. In any case, I'm looking forward to see your posts showing the other unusual features of this camera. I'm all for simplicity. The less the camera does (well), the less I need to do. I think the in-camera pano processing is great and if it saves me time, even better. I'm also interested in seeing the IQ at the long end of the zoom. Thanks for taking the time posting these images, Sarah.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 7:03 PM   #19

The HX-1 has a real tendency to over expose in bright sunshine. I began shooting at EV-0.7 and increased to EV-1.0 and still found some over exposure.

I was attempting come up with some color samples today. The left photo is with the R Mode which is described as natural color reproduction. The right photo is with the V for Vivid Mode.

IMO the difference is rather small. However, I thought it wise to do this test sample as I have seen more that a few comments about the HX-1 having "washed out" colors.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; May 22, 2009 at 7:07 PM.
Old May 22, 2009, 7:18 PM   #20

I then came inside and using a stuffed animal of our Grand Daughter took two more photos. the first photo in in the R or normal color mode. the second is in the V or Vivid Mode.

This time it was easier to see the difference.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images