Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 12, 2009, 3:26 AM   #41

Just bought the HXI, few pics i clicked on auto mode. I am a complete novice
Attached Images

zakir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2009, 2:19 AM   #42

Update on the HX1.

10 fps - I have tried to use this with my dog to get airborne shots of her leaping after butterflies. No success as yet and the sharpness of the photos is disappointing.

Panorama - I love this feature, it is so simple to use. Off on the family annual holiday to Phuket at the end of the month so will have ample opportunity to use this feature and post some results. However it does give workable results indoors in daylight and with no external illumination - for property interiors.

Macro - excellent to begin with but I am still struggling to get the depth of sharpness I am looking for after cropping. I really want the photos to have that Wow factor and maybe I am just asking too much of this camera.

Zoom - very useful, but I suspect, as with all these superzooms, that getting anywhere even close to DSLR like sharpness is never going to happen. Some excellent prints possible up to 7 x 5 which is as big as most people would want to go. Although I print at 8 x 11 and I'm having a tough time getting there.

Anti-Blur - I get some of my best photos using this feature for static subjects. Excellent.

Ergonomics & Screen - a little on the small size for my hands but overall I love the way I can even drop it into my large trouser pockets (though the bulge is errr ... somewhat embarrassing and invites inquisitive stares). Buttons are well placed and easy to use whilst framing. The 3" screen is great and even a 2.5" screen is too small now ! The articulation is great for getting at hard to photograph subjects - spiders under ledges for example. The viewfinder is very small but does the job on the very few occasions I've needed it.

Scene Mode - I haven't really used this mode, preferring aperture or shutter priority on most occasions. EV - 0.3 or - 0.7 is necessary for most outdoor shots.

HD Video - this is brilliant. Great videos and surprisingly excellent printable stills from the videos using the software supplied by Sony. You do need a powerful computer with lots of memory to play them smoothly though. Jumpy on my daughter's laptop, better on mine, perfect on the desktop.

Last edited by Frogfish; Jun 13, 2009 at 6:11 AM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2009, 3:56 AM   #43

This is interesting - a still taken from the HD video. I have to say that both photos, and especially the HD video, look superb on a HD TV.

Old Jun 13, 2009, 11:08 AM   #44

This is indeed interesting, Frogfish. From your previous post, I'd say the HX1 is an OK camera, with some good new features but average IQ (or even below avg in some circumstances). But then comes this picture of the German Shepherd, which is very good indeed and it's from the HD recording. So, what's the deal here? I'd be curious to see another shot of the dog but not taken from the HD recording to see how they compare.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2009, 4:16 PM   #45

Tullio. This is a similar pose / distance from the dog but a photo not a still taken from the HD.

1/160. 0 EV. F3.5. ISO 640. FL 12mm

Old Jun 13, 2009, 4:24 PM   #46

This was tough because it was dusk and a pair of Blue Herons were just getting ready to roost - and getting in a light fish snack before bed.

This was taken at fully extended zoom. I do not apply any in camera NR (there are 3 settings in the HX1, being -NR, NR and +NR) instead preferring to use Noiseaware post processing. 1/200. Shutter priority. +2EV. F5.2. ISO400. FL max 100mm

Old Jun 13, 2009, 4:27 PM   #47

There are 6 of these little blackbird sized birds that roost in a large tree at the bottom of the garden.

Cropped. 1/320. Normal Exp. 0 EV. F5.2. ISO125. FL max 100mm (zoom fully extended).

Old Jun 13, 2009, 4:32 PM   #48

And this is the one that got away ! I would be grateful for any advice for next time. It was dusk and I was trying to avoid going above ISO400, but failed, and of course because of the darkness a faster shutter speed was not possible even if I would have been able to get the aperture fully open (which I wasn't because of having the zoom fully extended). Help !

Cropped. 1/640. Shutter priority. +1EV. F5.2. ISO800. FL max 100mm (zoom fully extended).

Old Jul 7, 2009, 11:18 AM   #49

Default Sony HX-1

I love my HX-1 and I gave up a Canon 40D to get it. I do not regret that decision. I've had it about 2 weeks now and I am still learning about its many features - IMO the photos that I'm getting rival any Canon EF-S lens, or for that matter, any lens that I used with my 40D. This camera is actually making photography fun for me again.
richie1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 11:21 AM   #50

The HX-1 is far superior to any P & S Superzoom out there.
richie1950 is offline   Reply With Quote