Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 25, 2009, 1:43 PM   #71

Red Dragon-

I have found that the Sony HX-1 performs very well with the Mode Selector set to the "P" for Programed Auto Mode. If you detect any over exposure, just use some minus Exposure Compensation.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2009, 1:55 PM   #72

Suzie-

As you have seen from my posted photo samples from the HX-1, the camera is capable of producing very sharp and crisp photos. I have attached another HX-1 photo to demonstrate the camera's sharpness.

You mentioned also considering the Nikon D-90 camera. The D-90 is an excellent, but fairly heavy camera. You might also want to consider the D-5000 which has many of the D-90's features, and includes a rotatable LCD screen and the same high ISO capability of the D-90 DSLR.

There is a recall out currently on the D-5000 camera. The problem is a defective ON/OFF switch, so if you get a D-5000 all you have to do is get one with a serial number GREATER THAN 3114394 and you will have a good D-5000 camera that is not affected by the D-5000 recall.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jul 25, 2009, 3:35 PM   #73

Sarah Joyce,

I meant the P90, not D90. Sorry!!

Suzie
dave59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2009, 3:36 PM   #74

But I'm really leaning toward the Sony HX1.

Suzie
Old Jul 25, 2009, 4:03 PM   #75

Suzie-

That is relieving to hear. I honestly see the Sony HX-1 camera as a much better camera than the Nikon P-90 camera.

You must keep in mind though, that there will be a learning curve to go through with the HX-1, as it is a fairly complex digital camera. Lots of users has posted about the learning curve that they experienced.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jul 25, 2009 at 4:05 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 10:56 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhame Rashid View Post
...I set the dial to "iAuto" during my first two shots (wide and telephoto) and I was quite upset with the result (pictures were washed out).
I don't care what people say but IMHO, any camera should take decent pictures in AUTO mode. If the camera can not properly choose its setting automatically, I see it as a real problem because many people will rely on the AUTO mode and assume they will be OK. I hardly ever set my cameras to AUTO but I can tell you that the FZ28 never fails to perform real well in iA mode.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 1:38 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dragon View Post
Man, have you tested the other dial's modes well? Excluding "S", which one have you been using most? Tell us more...
Hey buddy! Hope you are having fun with you HX1. I prefer shooting with "S" mode; because this is something that understand; how fast the shutter works to capture image. I try not to shoot with ISO above 400 so most of the time I usually have to lower the shutter speed. I only use the "iA" as a last resort when my brain goes haywire (usually happens when I shoot in extremely low light), but I don't give up on learning, I'm determined to beat Mrs. Joyce on Photography even if it means working day and night .

After reading an article at a different site, I tried the "A" mode, for me it is a bit difficult to use, I cant relate aperture to anything, so I can't understand what it does on physics term. The "A" mode always keeps the shutter speed low, causing my image to get blurry. Beside that, there is a nice option in the "A" mode, called "Sync Flash", you should try that one out.

At very low light the Twilight mode reduces the noise amazingly.

Hope my information helped.
Safety and Peace to You

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave59 View Post
Fhame,

I am considering buying the Sony HX1. Are you images sharp? Overall, do you really like it? I am looking at that one and also the Nikon P90.
Thanks,
Suzie
Mrs. Suzie
The HX1 is my first digicam and I've used it just for a week. Please don't take my words too seriously. Compared with the picture here "http://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy/157616-nikon-p90-vs-olympus-e450-dslr.html" the image of the HX1 wont be sharp like this but you will get close result if you use flash (which I strongly discourage as it can't keep the natural color of the object). Perhaps Mrs. joyce or other experienced user can shred some light on it. On a different matter; probably, it would be good if you have a look at the Panasonic FZ28, not that I'm saying FZ is a better camera, you should have a look.

I'm sorry, I couldn't be much of a help.
Safety and Peace to You as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Red Dragon-

I have found that the Sony HX-1 performs very well with the Mode Selector set to the "P" for Programed Auto Mode. If you detect any over exposure, just use some minus Exposure Compensation.

Sarah Joyce
Totally agreed with Mrs. Joyce. I always get washed out image whenever I used the iA mode. The contrast gets way better if any other mode is used.

Safety and Peace to Mrs. Joyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave59 View Post
But I'm really leaning toward the Sony HX1.

Suzie
Natural. I had Dilemma between the FZ28 and the HX1. I was sold to the HX1 for its 1080 video, 10fps burst mode, and the very very useful tilt-able 3inch superb LCD screen
Fhame Rashid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 3:23 PM   #78

Default The Photo Quality to Beat-the Sony H-2

Rashid-

Well, I pulled out one of the two Sony H-2 cameras that I let my students use who want to experience a super zoom camera. And I have to say that the H-2, although an older Sony, still provides excellent photos.

Here is a sample photo taken with the H-2 of my ever patient husband.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Jul 26, 2009 at 3:27 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 3:25 PM   #79

Default 100% Crop of the Above Posted Photo

OK-

Here is a 100% crop of the above photo. There is a lot of detail in that photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jul 26, 2009, 6:10 PM   #80

Sarah Joyce,

I have ordered the Sony HX1 from Amazon. It should be here in a few days!! Yall be careful on your trip.

Suzie