Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 26, 2009, 7:16 PM   #81

Suzie-

Congratulations! It sounds like you feel better already. That is good, as we are looking to see a new bond established with this camera.

We drive to Portland tomorrow, 07/27, and then fly to the contract on Tuesday, 07/28. So, I will check back to see how you are doing with the Sony HX-1.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:24 AM   #82

Rashid-

What will be your next challenge for me. You had better hurry, as beginning tomorrow, 27 July I have to start moving to get into position for our next teaching contract.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 27, 2009, 1:19 AM   #83

The H2 is probably the best Sony long zoom cam but it has become obsolete. I bought the H10 for my son a while back and that's also a fine camera except for its WA, which starts at 37mm (quite tight IMO). Out of all other H cameras, perhaps the HX1 is the one worth taking into consideration. I still stick to my opinion that the FZ28 is a superior camera in terms of IQ.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 3:15 AM   #84

Tullio-

Of course, you are correct. As you know I am a big super zoom fan as well. The Panasonic FZ-18 and FZ-28 are great cameras in their own right, and I am not attempting to anything at all, to take anything away from them.

I was just attempting to demonstrate in my own way that the Sony, H-2 camera, as old as it is can still hold its own, in terms of image quality. In fact, I have packed a Sony H-2, as well as the Nikon D-5000 camera to take with us on this contract. I thought it would be fun to shoot some photos with the H-2 as we sailed through the Panama Canal.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 26, 2009, 3:38 PM   #85

I took some flower pictures in macro mode and for some reason there is huge amount of noise in them. Can anybody tell me what might be the reason?
ssky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 4:22 PM   #86

Can you post a couple of shots (with the EXIF data preserved)? Without looking at the EXIF information it is difficult to comment on the possible reason(s).

Tullio
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:48 AM   #87

Here is one 100% crop shot for a macro shot. A lot of noise is very obvious. I know I did something wrong here but do not know what. Any idea what can I do to improve IQ? Exif data of the image is

Focal length : 100.0 mm
Exposure time : 0.006s (1/160)
Aperture : f/5.2
ISO : 160
Exposure bias : 0.00
Metering mode : Matrix
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2009, 12:02 PM   #88

Was the original image just cropped or you post processed it? It looks like the image was badly PP. The ISO is low and the shutter speed is within the rule-of-thumb (1/FL). How about you post the original image with its full EXIF data? I'm curious to see the camera settings as far as sharpness, contrast, saturation and noise reduction go. Also, the mode (P, A, S, ...?). I use an EXIF program that provides data from internal settings as well.

Tullio
Old Aug 31, 2009, 3:21 PM   #89

No I did not touch the photo in any way. I cropped it from the photo that I downloaded from the camera. As you know HX1 does not offer RAW jpegs. If you like I can post the full image. Its rather big. I do not have any software to pull its exif info. I used Google's Picassa that gave me the information I posted earlier. So here is the actual photo right out of the camera.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 3:23 PM   #90

Well for some reason I cannot upload the photo its giving me errors. probably due to its size it is 2.8 MB. Is there any other way to post it?