Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 1, 2009, 12:07 PM   #1

Seems a good superzoom with innovating features and reasonably quick and good at low light.

Nobody here having at least tried it? :?
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2009, 3:34 PM   #2

I like it very much so far - although I would prefer sharper photos at longer focal lengths (wouldn't we all).

Macro - excellent
High Speed burst - excellent (I use this more in the 5 frames per second for 2 secs than the 10 : 1, the 5MB is plenty enough to get great photos).
Low light (Twilight) - very very good if on a tripod, good if not. Even 800 / 1600 produces printable 5" x 7" prints.
Panorama Stitching - mostly superb but some times awful ! You need to learn the speed at which to pan (on a tripod is better and easier).
x20 (9mb) x26 (5mb) x33 (3mb) & x108 (!!!) VGA (for email) zooms - The first two are very usable the x33 isn't really unless you just want to identify a bird ! x108 ? Well what do you expect !
Build quality - very good (Canon SX10 is better and the Pana Z28 worse).
Articulated Screen - excellent. I don't need it to be able to do a 360 double back flip with tuck - this does all I need and the quality is very good. EVP too small for my poor eyesight.
HD Video - lovely lovely lovely - however the continuous focus is a little slow, although the zoom functions throughout the range.

It's a good camera for me and is a very good replacement for my old digicam Oly 8080.

Last edited by Frogfish; May 12, 2009 at 3:38 PM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2009, 7:28 PM   #3

Check out the www.dpreview.com Sony Talk Forum. There is another personal review there on the HX-1. And in the next couple of weeks Jeff should comple a full professional review of the HX-1 over at www.dcresources.com.

05/17/2009 Update: The full Sony HX-1 review has now been posted over at www.dpreview.com, and there should be another professional review at www.dcresource.com before the end of may.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; May 17, 2009 at 7:53 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 9:20 PM   #4

The new Sony HX-1 is getting pretty good reviews. I think it might be a very important first step forward in using a CMOS imager on a digicam. It certainly competes well against Canon's SX-1 CMOS imager based camera.

Here is a sample photo taken with the brand new Twilight Mode that takes 6 high ISO setting photos and then merges them into a single image to give the photographer the greatest resolution and the least noise.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; May 18, 2009 at 4:18 PM.
Old May 18, 2009, 8:43 PM   #5

I keep coming across some really excellent Sony HX-1 camera photos. I found another excellent example that comes close, or rivals, that fabled DSLR clarity and sharpness.

Please take a good look and tell me what you think. Thanks!

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old May 20, 2009, 12:05 PM   #6

The HX-1 arrived late yesterday afternoon (05/19). The battery is now charged and I will do some experimenting today. I will be soon posting some results.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 21, 2009, 10:48 AM   #7

I and many others be looking forward to your images, Sarah. And, given the great results you've been able to get with Panasonic's FZ28, I hope you'll come out and tell us which camera is better - and why. Yes, there are reviews on the Web which find the FZ28 superior to the HX1 at the pixel level. But your real-world results will no doubt be what tips many potential buyers one way or the other.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 12:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
I keep coming across some really excellent Sony HX-1 camera photos. I found another excellent example that comes close, or rivals, that fabled DSLR clarity and sharpness.

Please take a good look and tell me what you think. Thanks!

Sarah Joyce
It could be my monitor but this image looks far from being sharp.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 1:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
The HX-1 arrived late yesterday afternoon (05/19). The battery is now charged and I will do some experimenting today. I will be soon posting some results.

Sarah Joyce
Although I won't be buying the HX-1, I'm very curious to see the results you'll come up with. Since the release of the H2 I've been disappointed with the H series. I still have my H1 but after trying the H50, I decided to switch to Pana (FZ18 and FZ28). As for the HX-1, just because it has a CMOS sensor it does not mean IQ will be superior. Canon already realeased a long zoom with a CMOS sensor and that was a failure.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 6:00 PM   #10

OK this is quik and dirty, meaning that it is NOT sceintific at all.

But here you have comparison photos from the Sony H2 (1st Photo), Song H-50 (2nd Photo), and the Sony HX-1 (3rd Photo)

After comparing, what do you think?

To my eyes, the Sony H-2 is still the winner, then comes the new Sony HX-1, followed by the Sony H-50.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images