Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 29, 2009, 12:05 PM   #1

Default Reviving the R1

For months my beloved R1 has been relegated to its box inside my photography chest (I've been too busy playing with my A200). So this past week I thought maybe I could sell the old thing and use the money to buy another lens for my A200. However, before I started creating the auction on eBay, I decided to go outside and take a few shots with it. Boy, am I glad I did that! I've been telling myself from the very first day I got my R1 that "this is a camera to keep" and my feelings about it haven't changed a bit. Who needs a DSLR when you have the R1, that's my question! Well, I know the arguments well since I do have an SLR. The R1 AF is not nearly as fast as my A200 and in low light, the R1 AF system really sucks. The R1 FL is limited to its 5x optical zoom lens (unless I buy a tele converter for it, which not only it is an expensive preposition, but the worse part is that the camera becomes way too heavy, big and bulky). The A200, certainly offers me more options in that department. Well, I think that's about it because when it come to IQ, the R1 is really hard to beat. It has an impressive Zeiss lens which works beautifully with the camera's sensor and in conjunction with features like the Zebra pattern, it makes me hardly ever miss a shot. The R1 does not have any IS system but the camera is so well balanced that it almost seems like it does because I can shoot at very low speeds and still come up with dead sharp images. It is unfortunate that most likely Sony will never produce a R2 (there is no market for it and they certainly don't want to affect their DSLR market with a high quality hybrid model). Oh well, I'm just glad that one day I decided to buy the R1. Here are some shots taken with it recently...
Attached Images

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2009, 12:06 PM   #2

This is not a recent image but nonetheless, it is without a doubt one of my favorites.
Attached Images

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Jun 29, 2009 at 3:35 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 2:01 PM   #3

The camera is by far a keeper. Stunning shots
USMCZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2009, 6:13 AM   #4

Nice photos Tullio.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 7:42 AM   #5

I also have a Sony DSLR but for certain work my beloved R1 always comes out.
I always keep it's battery charged and this is one camera that I will never part with.
Geoff
limey-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2009, 10:11 AM   #6

Thanks very much for your comments, Antony.

Yes, Geoff, this is probably the most reliable camera I ever had. The fact that you can see exactly what the result of a shot is going to be, makes it almost impossible to miss one. The "zebra" pattern is excellent in helping control highlight clipping. Not to mention the sharpness of its lens. I love it!

Tullio
Old Jul 13, 2009, 6:00 PM   #7

I still have my Sony R-1 at the ready!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 10:24 AM   #8

The R1 would be a much more fun camera to use if it wasn't for its size and weight. It's very bulky and heavy and as a result, it's not a camera you wish to take everywhere. But, when you want to make sure you get good quality images from your photo shootout, that's the one to take.

Tullio