Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 7, 2003, 2:07 AM   #1

Default Mavica CD-500 bowed images

I am getting a bowing at the border of pictures taken with my Mavica CD500. It is especially noticeable in shots taken with the wide-angle conversion lens. Am I doing something wrong ? Click on the following link to view a sample picture.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/191557/DSC01.JPG
Glen B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2003, 6:56 AM   #2

i am new to digital photography but have been taking film photos for years in various capacities (Professional and personal). In film, wide angle lens will have distortion. in fact, all lens distort, it is just more obvious in wide angle shots. The higher quality lens, the less obvious distortion. But the wider the angle, the more distortion. In my photography, i try to use the distortion to my advantage or try to hide it. If you can, stay away from obvious straight lines, etc. I haven't used the wide angle attachment yet, but plan to buy one later. hope this helps.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 11:44 AM   #3

Thanks for the response Oldtimer. I upgraded from the Mavica CD-250 to the 500 and to me, the shots taken with the former didn't seem to have quite as much distortion. I though this was weird since the much-touted Carl Zeiss lens in the CD-500 is supposed to be superior to the lens in the CD-250.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 9:35 PM   #4

Default cd500

I was wondering, do you like the CD500? My CD400 was stolen and I would like to replace with the 500, but I am hesitant.
bcringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 9:17 PM   #5

Default Re: cd500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcringo
I was wondering, do you like the CD500? My CD400 was stolen and I would like to replace with the 500, but I am hesitant.
I am pleased with the CD500. It is an all-around step up from the 250. The only thing I miss is the ability to zoom in movie mode.