Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 18, 2003, 4:20 PM   #21

It's already up on SonyStyle?! Man, oh, man........should I order one or wait for reviews on the production model?! ARG! Nice active thread tho. Thanks for the responses everyone.
mofo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2003, 4:26 PM   #22

Default To order, or not to order ...

I decided to jump in and get one right away. I've been very happy with the Sony stuff I own.

Just don't order one via eBay ! LOL !

Yes, great thread everyone. THANKS !

Jerry
jnovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2003, 12:14 PM   #23

Default The latest from Sony

Sony just emailed me and said:

The Cyber-shot Digital Camera DSC-F828 will be available for shipment on or about 12/29/03.
Old Dec 9, 2003, 11:11 AM   #24

Default 12/19 in Japan

The Sony japan site now says it will ship 12/19 in Japan.
Old Dec 10, 2003, 11:59 PM   #25

Just visited Sony's site to place order on F828. Sony site now says will be available on or about Jan 26 2004.

I can't wait any longer!!! It's killing me!

Can any verify this?
Thanks!
Digital wacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2003, 3:53 PM   #26

Do you know when we ll be able to compare the digital rebel with the DSC-F828. I ve even been to the japanese sony website and they had 4 sample images there not that I could tell much from them. Sony told me just now (Dec 12th 4pm ET) that it has been released since mid November but the shipment date is Dec 29th.

When will we have our hands on the production model so that we can finally compare the resolution/noise ratio of these two?
ystasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2003, 11:12 AM   #27

Default I got mine yesterday (12/16)

It wasn't promised until the end of the month. I've only had a chance to take a few pictures, but very impressed so far.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 12:42 AM   #28

Just thought you would like to know that the Sony
DSC-F828 was received in Oklahoma City. I got mine
today at Epperson Photo. I plan to test it out this
week. If you are still looking they said they had a few
left.

The salesman name was Lloyd who helped me. He was
quite knowledgeable about it.

I think the web site is EppersonPhoto.com FYI.

It was not the cheapest but not the most expensive.

I'll put a review up in a few days.

Mike
mikemac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2003, 2:38 AM   #29

Default Sony and Panasonic are both a little strange ---

Strange in their approach to the US market, anyway...

Neither one seems genuinely interested in the US comsumer, which is strange considering they DO sell here....

Canon, on the other hand, seems quite interested in selling to us even if we are not Japanese...

No idea what is going on here but have spent some $6000 with Canon simply because of the disinterest of Panasonic in selling the FZ10, and of Sony in selling the 828.

Maybe another poster is right in his suggestions that Sony has experienced some problems with the 828.

I wanted to buy the 828 but will now wait for Canon's digicams (20 in 2004 !) in the hopes they will have a logical successor to my Pro90 IS.

I have a 10D kit but want a smaller carry-all-the-time camera for which I am still using the Pro90 IS. The 828 seems ideal except for no stabilization and Sony's attitude. I will probably get it if no Canon results by the end of March....
Humble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2003, 8:19 AM   #30

Well by now you've all read the review at dcresource.com. I'm not surprised this camera has so much noise (way above average in my opinion for a non-dSLR) - it has an 8MP sensor yet the sensor size is still very small for a sensor with that many pixels.

People are going mega pixel crazy - manufacturers are feeling pressured to use higher mega pixel sensors but still keep costs down. So what do they do? They use high MP sensors but make them as small as they can get away with, which in turn results in increased noise. My OLD OLD Canon A40 2 mega pixel camera has virtually no noise compared to these new cams even at ISO 200 on an 8 second shutter speed. Why? Because it has a reasonably sized sensor and only 2 MP.

In short - if you want to have more mega pixels but not increase the noise at the same time, you have to increase the physical size of the sensor accordingly. That is why dSLRs are so noise free - their sensors are massive (in physical size) compared to the cheapies manufacturers use in cameras like the 828. I've done tests with various sensor sizes to prove this relationship and it is definately the source of almost all noise. Firmware noise reduction and lens can have some effect, but not a great deal i wouldn't think. I hope when i buy my next cam i don't have to use neat image on all my shots just because it's a 10MP behemoth with a tiny sensor - rediculous.

Regards,
Richard
richardmanley is offline   Reply With Quote