Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 7, 2003, 1:02 PM   #1

Default Sony F-828 Availibility On Schedule?

Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone's heard anything from the rumor mill about if the F-828 is still on track for it's mid-november release.

I'm on my fourth attempt at looking for a digi-cam and this one comes the closest to what I was looking for (just doesn't have a swiveling LCD). If the production is no worse than the pre-production model I'll probably get it.

Thanks.
mofo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2003, 4:02 AM   #2

I see it on a lot of sites like Dealtime, but havent seen reviews from actual OWNERS.

I lost my MVC-CD1000 in the San Diego fires last week. I liked it reasonably well because I dont do blow ups; most of my digital work is for web or simple deskjet prints. I use my old Oly OM-4 for slides/prints. Loved the long lens even if it wasnt great glass.

I started research on the Web about 4 hours ago and, so far, the 828 is for me but it's not ideal. Mostly because it's a Sony product. From my CD1000 experience theyre just a too-huge corp that knows it will sell stuff simply because they have the marketing machine, so they REALLY dont have to listen to us or provide good customer service. In some ways they still havent learned from Beta/VHS in that they dont offer replaceable lenses. However, comared to the CD1000 the 828 lets you use your OWN flash; also it allows multiple solid-state storage formats which previous Cybvershots did not.

For those looking for a semi-pro digicam and, notwithstanding the ribbing you'll get from purists, LIKE having a basic MPEG camera in the same box, heres a spec comaprison of

Fuji S602
CoolPix5700
Toshiba M70
DSC F828

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/came...6-426-393.html

Would have added the Panasonic FZ-10K most due to its 12x optical zoom, but U can only compare 4 cams at a time. Steve, does this have add'l digital zoom? I missed that spec.

Like many of you I've had SOME kind of camera since age 5. Unlike some of you, I dont have a good eye for color or fine disortion; I used to get teased because I liked my OM-4 with the Tamron lenses vs a Nikon with Nikkor, etc. Well, I cant see the diff so who cares! This camera seems to have all the good-SLR features I want and darn good MPEG capability, and I dont miss the optical viewfinder that much. Frankly, I don't NEED 8MP and will be paying for that unneeded feature out the butt, but otherwise, unless reviews from real users say the pix suck, I will probably dance w/ Sony again.

One important question: will the USB download work with Mac OS 10.2.x? I have a G4, probably w/ USB1.1 and I wish the 828 had Firewire. Will I be able to DL pix or will I have to have an external flash reader? The reason I'm not considering the the CD500 is that the CD1000 discs wont play on my OSX Mac and Sony doesnt give a shot.

Also, will I miss the image stabilization I came to rely on in the CD1000? Can't fathom why Sony left that out!

Tnx in advance for any advice.
phil wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2003, 2:44 PM   #3

Default Sony says no, but I see lots of delays

I emailed Sony on two occasions and they say that the DSC-F828 will ship in November. However, many resellers show availability in January. This adds up to very limited availability until January in my book. We'll see what happens! I am anxiously waiting for them to become available.

Regards,
Jerry Novak
jnovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 1:01 PM   #4

I am also anxiously awaiting the release as well. I have been looking real hard at the Canon Rebel. After reading Steve's reviews for the umteenth time, I realized I need to stay with Sony and the 828 is a strong looker.

I have never shot a SLRD like the Canon so I guess i won't miss it. I do like those lense options though. I hope Sony or a good third party will have some decently prices accessories for it.

I have a F707 and it has certainly helped to cover a multitude of my photographic sins (pure ignorance). The other thing is I already have items that will work with the new camera. Staying with Sony will save me about $500 or better in outfitting a new Canon.
BA63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 1:07 PM   #5

I think I read somewhere that the F828 was backwards compatible with add-ons for the F717 and F707. I could be wrong.

This would be my first digicam. I never would've thought that I'd take a Sony seriously. Hopefully, there isn't a delay of a couple months between shipping and availability.
mofo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 1:31 PM   #6

Default Waiting for DSC-F828

I now see that the C|Net shopper shows them IN STOCK at buy.com. If you click on the link and check buy.com they show 1 - 2 week availability.

http://att.com.com/Sony_Cyber_Shot_D...-30474948.html

After thinking on this some more, I wonder if Sony isn't going to try to sell out their inventory of F717s over Christmas. They'll make the 828 available, but not do the advertising until January. Fine strategy, as long as I don't have to wait until Jan to get the camera!
Old Nov 11, 2003, 5:11 PM   #7

Default 828 Availability

Here's my take on 828 availability -- again no certainity, but I've collected some more rumors.

* Live chat with Sony indicates mid-November delivery in USA and December for Europe. The response, however, felt programmed. I didn't sense that the CS rep was really convinced. Nor am I.

* I've emailed about 10 photo shops which indicate they plan to carry the 828. Most of the major NY shops told me it was going to be no earlier than December, likely January. I did find a place in Detroit that spoke to their Sony rep. on Friday and were ASSURED that they would get them by the 20th. That's the only glimmer of hope I've heard. I have one pre-ordered at $969 with the ability to bail out if it does not arrive before Xmas.

* Oddly enough, there were two 828s on Ebay this morning. 2 diffrent dealers. Likely test models. However I could not find them when I checked back later in the day despite the fact that they were not BUY IT NOW items. Not sure if/why they were pulled.

My gut tells me it's going to be December/January.
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 8:18 PM   #8

Default Re: 828 Availability

> Oddly enough, there were two 828s on Ebay this morning.

Not odd at all. So far all the 828 auctions on eBay have been
scams, and get reported quickly. Either the scammers don't
know this camera doesn't exist yet, or they're counting on
their victims to not know.

Beware however, as there are '828-related auctions which
are not outright frauds, but merely the usual photo-magazine
rip-offs, like the "Ultimate F828 Accessory Kit" that includes:
* an off-brand wide lens that won't work on the F828
* an off-brand tele lens that won't work on the F828
* a linear polarizer that will screw up the auto-focus
Other than that, a great deal

And if you don't know how to spot the signs of fraudulent
eBay auctions, do NOT bid on flashy tecno gear, a category
infested with scammers, mostly using hijacked accounts.
Boundless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 8:48 PM   #9

Default Re: 828 Availability

> So far all the 828 auctions on eBay have been
> scams, and get reported quickly.

I went looking, and found six.

Three had already been pulled. It takes some hours
before the search engine stops finding them.

I got two reported, but the third went invalid while I
was filling out the report. The account went NARU a
minute later.

The two reported were new accounts.
The third was a hijack, of a basebell trader that
hadn't been active since July, and probably still
has no idea that he was selling hi-end digicams.
Boundless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 11:40 PM   #10

The other possibility is that Sony is having problems with the camera. I see the new 4-color CCD as a likely culprit here. Maybe there are yield or sensitivity issues that aren't being resolved on schedule. Again, this would leave them with very limited availability to start, and more later (possibly when new changes are cut-in). If this is the case it could also raise the liklihood that the early cameras would have problems.

If they really are coming out this month, I am very surprised that there haven't been units sent out for follow-up testing by Steve's and the other DP sites.