Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 10, 2009, 1:16 PM   #1

Default Has anyone compared the SonyH20 the Canon SX10 is ?

Has anyone compared the SonyH20 the Canon SX10 is ?....I'm in the market for a ULTRA ZOOM camera such as one of these, and have read good reviews for both cameras. The Sony incorporates HD recording and is about $120 cheaper then the Canon. My main priority is image quality but HD recording is a good option to have. Your opinions would be greatly apreciated.

ab
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2009, 7:38 AM   #2

Anthony-

The Sony H-20 and the Canon SX-10 are both excellent cameras but not necessarily directly comparable. There is both a size and zoom disparity. It really is a matter of what you prefer.

The H-20 can easily beat the SX-10 in terms of flash range, that is why the SX-10 has a hotshoe. Personally, I would go with the H-20 as I like that size of camera and I do not need 20+ Optical Zoom, 10 to 12 is sufficient for me.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2009, 9:40 AM   #3

The H20 can hardly be considered an ultra zoom camera. With its 10x O zoom lens, it falls way short of newer 18x, 20x, 24x zoom cameras available these days. If size is an issue, a much better option would be the ZS1/ZS3 from Panasonic. They are both 12x zoom and much smaller than the H20. Their Leica lens is great and wide (25mm compared to the 37mm lens of the H20). The ZS3 is more expensive (although prices have dropped lately) but it offers many improvements over the ZS1 (better movie recording capabilities and features, better LCD resolution, etc.).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 9:45 AM   #4

The Sony H-20 has received great reviews, and I honestly think that zoom range is really a matter of preference. Yes, the ZS1 and ZS3 Panny cameras are great outdoors, but countless users complain about their indoor performance, me included as I own a ZS1. Put a $100 to $150 slave flash on the ZS1 and it becomes a much better performer indoors. However, that sort of defeats the size and price advantage.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 15, 2009, 9:43 PM   #5

Well, today I decided to put my money where my mouth is-

Yep, I ordered a Sony H-20 after reading all of the professional reviews. So by the end of next week I should have a Sony H-20 in hand to provide some good sample photos.

Everything points to the fact that the H-20, although (are you reading Tullio?) does not have a true wide angle position available on its lens, is capable of some excellent panoramas.

And for those that might be wondering, the 10X optical zoom offered by the Sony H-20 is no longer considered "ultrazoom" but, who cares? If it is a good camera, let's examine the IQ together, and debate it if required.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 16, 2009 at 3:26 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:07 PM   #6

Wouldn't you know it -

The price of the SX-10 just dropped to $306.34 at www.amazon.com this morning (08/17/09). that is just about only $60 more than the H-20. Wow!

The added features, the added zoom and the hot shoe are very attractive features on the SX-10 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 17, 2009, 8:52 PM   #7

folks-

I have to tell you that the Canon SX-10 at www.amazon.com went back up in price at about 1700 Pacific time to $344.00. it was a short price reduction. I sincerely hope that as many people got in at the lower price. Perhaps this will change me from a Sony fan to a Canon fan. I will let you know over the next 2 weeks.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 18, 2009 at 2:39 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 10:39 PM   #8

The best way to track Amazon prices is to place the item(s) you are interested in in your shopping cart. Then, every time you click on the Cart button, if there was a price change (increase or decrease) since you last checked, it will appear at the top. I'm keeping track of the Pana G1 price on Amazon and I see it fluctuates between $639 and $709 (some times even $799). I'm waiting for it to drop below $600 to pull the trigger (other sellers on Amazon already have it going for $616). I have no doubt the price of the SX-10 will drop again.

Tullio
Old Aug 17, 2009, 11:52 PM   #9

Tullio-

A tip of the hat to you for a great idea. Placing the item you are indeed interested in the amazon cart is a great idea. Prices at www.amazon.com are always fluctuating. so that is a great way to check on it. For example, look at how the price of the Panasonic FZ-28 camera has fluctuated.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 19, 2009 at 6:09 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:23 AM   #10

Thanks, Sarah. I've been tracking Amazon prices on items I'm interested in using this technique and I've got some pretty awesome deals. I have an Amazon tab on my browser and from time to time, I get to it and refresh it to see whether prices have changed (and by how much) or not.

Tullio