Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 13, 2003, 6:31 PM   #1

Default Memory stick folder structure

Does anybody know how does the MS folder structure works? How can somebody place JPEG pictures into the camera ( i have dsc-p8) and be able to view them on the lcd later. Pictures i have placed into the folders are not viewabla.
Barret is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2003, 8:08 PM   #2

As far as I know, you can't copy a picture onto a memory stick and then view it on the camera. Even if the picture was originally taken with that camera, once it's been deleted from the stick, you can't copy it back and still be able to view it on the card.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2003, 9:01 PM   #3

you will not be able to view it on the camera but if you own a sony palm (Clie) device it will be able to be displayed.

its like this with pretty much all media. once its off the card thats it.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2003, 8:35 AM   #4

It is very much possible to copy a jpg file on to the memory stick and view that in the camera LCD. I have tried this in my Sony P72 camera.

Once the camera is connected to the PC through the USB port, the PC treats the camera as a removable drive. Using Windows Explorer, you can copy files back and forth. The camera expects the file name to conform to certain rules. For example, in Sony P72, DSC08852.jpg is a valid file name. The other models of Sony may also be following the same rule.

If you have a memory card reader/writer, you can use that to copy files to the memory stick and view the photographs in the camera.

- Bala
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2003, 10:28 AM   #5

Thanks Bala you are right, it works for pictures that are created with the camera. But pictures created with photoshop ( still compressed jpeg) dont show up on the screen and i get a 'file error'. The camera's pictures contain some info on the shutter speed , white balance etc. which are lost when the file is resaved through another program. Maybe thats the reason the camera cannot show other jpg.
Barret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2003, 1:53 PM   #6

you CAN view files put back on a memory stick at a later time, but like the previous poster said, it has to be done a certain way. the f707 looks for image files in a certain directory (dcim/100msdcf) and if they're not there--and only there--then it won't see them.

check out this link:

http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/support/.../cams0589.html

the parent page for this image, with a full explanation of the problem you described, is here:

http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/support/...644-77142.html

hope this helped!
JuanToro is offline   Reply With Quote