Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 14, 2003, 10:00 AM   #1

Default DSC V1 or F707 full package? help to decide needed fast!

I am aiming for DSC v-1 and one of my friend offered me a full package of F707.

F707 package: That package includes Original set of F707, 2x128MB MS, tripod, HL1000 external flash, bag, MS card reader, lens hood( not Sony's flower petal one).

DSC v-1 package: Original new set, 1 spare battery, 1x128MB MS

which one should i go for???
angelfish0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2003, 11:03 AM   #2

the 707 is so behind the curve it would have to be a real bargain even the 717 is dated. this is the basic problem of digital and especially with sony as they make some fundamental changes in their fleet of cameras. memorystick pro (will not be usable in al cameras no on the 707. the 707 max is 128MB or the 256 duo w/switch and that isn't much) the addition of aCF card slot on their new 828 (the successor of the 717). it seems with sony they march foward without supporting their back.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 11:40 AM   #3

but v-1 comes with the standard package + 1 spare batt + 1x128MB MS.

The f707 is a full package... and it provides 2x128MB as well.

Both of this package is at the same price.

Well~ any major difference between v1 and f707? Except the size...
Old Nov 14, 2003, 1:46 PM   #4

ok you get the 707 "full package" you cannot get memorsticks larger then 128MB which means if you shoot at highest resolution and you go away for a few days you'll need more then just 2 of them.
this model has not been made for over a year now.

the V1 supports al the most recent updates in the sony armada including support for the MS Pro. this means you can use both old and new MSs. memory is relatively easy to get . is the spare battery a sony original or a second source battery?
who made the tripod and will you use or is it going to be a closet dweller. the V1 is more compact. using 128MB MS you will find at highest res they don't hold that many images.

if your stuck on sony i'd go for the V1. leave the 707 behind where it already is. all the little things that are added there are to entice you towards the lesser product.

concentrate on the camera not the perifiral stuff. the V1 is a better overall camera then the 707.

V1 info:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...KITIS&Dept=dcc

i'd post the 707 info but its discontinued from the sony site
Old Nov 15, 2003, 11:05 PM   #5

Angel

I believe the V-1 will be a much better deal for you. With the points made by sjms, and here are some others.

If you by the V-1 new, you have a warranty on it. Will your friend give you a warranty? The optics have been upgraded, with better Ziess glass. It will be more user friendly too, if you are just getting started in Digitial cameras. It is more compact and much easier to carry. My 717 does get heavy after a full days hike with other gear. The support of MS Pro. On a regular MS you will only get about 48 pics on highest res.

The V-1 has many more updates in it, and it is a much better camera for the price. I know I could not get the money for my 717 to equal a new V-1 today.

Hope this helps

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2003, 7:24 AM   #6

but compare both V1 and F707, will F707 fall behind a lot in terms of performance and features?

Well, this will be my first digicam though. Mainly i'll be using it as a point-and-shoot for the first few months, then later on only venture through the extra features and functions... I had compared the specs of both digicams, and F707 is slow compared to V1. But overall both are almost the same for me.

for me, i think F707 feel better in my hands...
Old Nov 16, 2003, 7:26 AM   #7

forgot to answer some questions:

The battery included in the V1 package is the Sony's brand new battery

p/s: the MS pro's price is so high hence i'll opt for 2x128MB if i wana expand my capacity. No matter what i won't be getting MS Pro...
Old Nov 16, 2003, 11:46 AM   #8

the prices will come down and you will end up with the larger ones because as you learn and print and shoot you will need the room. ia high q low compression image takes up space. on my minolta A1 i get 105 images on a 512MB card go to RAW and that drops to 68. if you shoot a lot of hq shots you'll be packing quit afew 128MB cards. you will want the ability to crop and edit. low rez images don't cut it for quality in printing if you crop.

this image is less then 30% of the original shot.

http://www.pbase.com/image/23291403

this came from a 11MP camera. a 5MP camera has even greater limits imposed on it.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 3:16 PM   #9

How much does he want for them?

A HUGH advantage of the 707 is the ability to rotate the screen. I often take shots above my head, high on a tripod, or down at my feet. How do you do that with the V1?

Darrell
Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote