Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:26 PM   #31
Super Moderator

sarah,

thnx for providing that, should be helpful for those comparing.

the thing that surprises me (i know its not the real point of this thread, sorry) is the amount of noise the sony a230 shows at iso 400. i was guessing it was at least iso 800. is this pretty representative of this camera?
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 9:45 AM   #32

I don't understand why we always end up comparing P&S or small compacts to DSLRs.

I know very little but determined a long time ago that a DSLR will always be better for a number of reasons but it's also not the market that the WX is competing in. Evaluating against a DSLR is not fair.

The advantage for me and I think most consumer level buyers is the size. We don't want to lug around a DSLR, buy lenses,worry about dust, lots of settings, post processing etc. Also, another $200 is just that and may mean momma is happy or she doesn't get to go out to dinner this week. <G>

Us light weights are looking for the holy grail - a pocket camera that does well in low and bright light, has a reasonable zoom as well as can go wide, takes decent pictures, can catch Jimmy swinging a bat, has a few gimmicks, is easy to use and is reasonably priced. Very few are going to actually print a photo these days much bigger than snapshot size if at all.

I know that it doesn't not exist. My point is how does the WX compare to other compacts in the price range and how close does it get to the holy grail? In short, is it a breakthrough vs the rest in it's class or just another camera release mudding up the waters of choice? Yes, a DSLR will be the way to go but it's not in the cards.

So I look forward to your bright light shots (if the sun ever comes out for us all again). Also as a complete novice it would be interesting to see a shot taken wide with the WX vs the norm of other cameras to see how much more it really can capture at the wide setting.

Remember, I am thinking about real estate shots in my case. Try standing in the doorway of room to take a picture you hope will show someone what the room looks like. I can't tell you how many great pictures of toilets and bathtubs I see because an agent seems to focus on them vs a representation of the room.

Gotta Go - see the sunshine !
Joe Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 7:02 PM   #33

Well, we had about 1 hour of sunshine between rain showers, so I dashed outside with the WX1. All in all I was impressed, the auto exposure in the "P" for Programed Auto Mode gave me nice blue skies with no wildly apparent clipped highlights.

The colors look good, and we got a nice sharp image. Tell me what you think. I am beginning to have the feeling that this camera is pretty versatile. It is gtowing on me and it surely does meet Joe Sellers requirement for being small in size.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 8:26 PM   #34

Hi Sarah, looking at this daylight shot it seems a bit soft.

Here is one from W300 for comparison:
Attached Images

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 9:29 PM   #35

Yes, indeed Ian-

I also agree with you, definitely a bit soft particularly when compared to the W-300. I like the WX-1, but it seems to be one compromise after another compromise. Such as high ISO capabilities, but soft images.

I attempted this sunset shot tonight in the later phases of dusk, and the WX-1 would not lock focus for me. Another compromise point, at least in my point of view. Tell me what you think??

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 25, 2009, 9:50 PM   #36

Thanks to Sarah and the other contributors for their contributions to this thread. Sarah mentioned it over in the What Camera for Me forum, and I made the jump.

The sunset shot is poor, no? The color appears nicely NOT over-saturated, and even natural in the sky, but I'm seeing a lot green banding in the water, which I take is noise (?).

From these sample shots from the Sony, I wouldn't consider buying one due to the image quality. I'm very much the novice -- is that an unwise conclusion from the evidence we have?
Kriekira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 8:19 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Well, we had about 1 hour of sunshine between rain showers, so I dashed outside with the WX1. All in all I was impressed, the auto exposure in the "P" for Programed Auto Mode gave me nice blue skies with no wildly apparent clipped highlights.

The colors look good, and we got a nice sharp image. Tell me what you think. I am beginning to have the feeling that this camera is pretty versatile. It is gtowing on me and it surely does meet Joe Sellers requirement for being small in size.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah, thanks for the sunshine shot. Is it just my old eyes or is it not in focus? It's OK but the sign and the markings on the boat are not very clear. Now the shot posted on the W300 was really sharp. Compromise, compromise. It's never easy is it?
Joe Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:21 PM   #38

My conclusion is this-

The Sony WX-1 is a fun and pleasant camera to use. It does indeed have a high ISO capability. Size-wise, it is a very convenient camera. However, that is not enough for me to accept its lesser image quality.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 26, 2009, 6:35 PM   #39

Barring any last questions, I will be returning the Sony WX-1 camera tomorrow (10/27).

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 26, 2009, 8:05 PM   #40

None from me. Thank you Sarah.
Kriekira is offline   Reply With Quote