Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 28, 2009, 9:01 AM   #1

Default Sony HX1 Opinions, please.....

I'm looking for comments on the Sony HX1 from actual users. I think this is my next camera and I liked what I saw when I tried it at Best Buy. The burst options are amazing! The video and video sound were great, as good as Canon and better than the others.

I'm wondering if the HD video requires any special handling or special computer to play. My plan for HD is to store the files after making regular DVDs from them. Someday, I may get into the Blu Ray thing and make HD discs from the original files.

Any comments on this camera appreciated. It looks like a winner, especially for grand kids sports events.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:09 AM   #2

Jack-

Video on a still camera is not "my thing" as I have a great Sony camcorder. I approached the HX-1 as a still camera. The HX-1 has its share of unique features, like the Twilight Mode and the Sweep Panoramas which are nice, but I ended up returning the HX-1 this summer, just a week after I had purchased it.

I was particularly looking for hish ISO shooting capabilities, which is where the HX-1 fell short. The G lens is good and the HX-1 is a good initial attempt by Sony, but i decided to wait for the follow-on camera, something of the HX-2.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:52 AM   #3

Sarah,

Out of curiosity, which camera did you finally decide on for the high ISO purposes.

I'm tempted to wait for the HX2,....and may yet, figuring they will fix the buffer problem that causes the bursts to take so long to load. Not sure what I will do.

I'm just a little confused about the HX1 since most pro reviews give it only so so marks. Users, however, seem to love it.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 1:53 PM   #4

Hi there, Jack-

Instead of the Sony HX-1, I purchased the Sony A-230 DSLR camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:09 AM   #5

I have not seen a P&S camera by anyone that has good low light performance.
They certainly are no where near quick enough for sports unless you are really good at anticipating the shot.
A DSLR will give you much better performance speed wise and shot to shot captures, but even then, fast glass is required for any indoor, low light work. Fast glass would be f2.8 or better and even then shooting with ISO 800 or higher.

I have not yet found the lens for my A-700 for indoor volleyball.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 12:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Jack-

I was particularly looking for hish ISO shooting capabilities, which is where the HX-1 fell short. The G lens is good and the HX-1 is a good initial attempt by Sony, but i decided to wait for the follow-on camera, something of the HX-2.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Hello Sarah,

Do you know when Sony will come with the follow-on of the HX-1?
Will it be before June 2010? And than in Europe, Holland?

Thanks,
Ingrid
Enckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 3:45 PM   #7

No, I am sorry to say, Ingrid-

I have no idea when we will see an HX-2 camera. Soon, I hope.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:08 PM   #8

Default New Sony????????

I found this on the Internet......

Early January Sony will unveil the DSC-HX5V. No specs are given zet but you can bet with us the camera is coming!
P.S.: That also explains the recent price drops of the Sony Cybershot DSC-HX1 in amazon.

http://sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sony-...-the-dsc-hx5v/

Greetings Ingrid
Hoping that it will be true and that it comes to Europe before Mai 2010.....
Enckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 1:08 PM   #9

Ingrid-

The rumor of the Sony HX-5v is very welcome. It seems that it will include a GPS capability, I wonder what else will be included?? I would like to see better numerically higher ISO image quality for "starters."

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setter Dog View Post
I'm looking for comments on the Sony HX1 from actual users. I think this is my next camera and I liked what I saw when I tried it at Best Buy. The burst options are amazing! The video and video sound were great, as good as Canon and better than the others.

I'm wondering if the HD video requires any special handling or special computer to play. My plan for HD is to store the files after making regular DVDs from them. Someday, I may get into the Blu Ray thing and make HD discs from the original files.

Any comments on this camera appreciated. It looks like a winner, especially for grand kids sports events.

Jack
I've had this camera for a while now. I love the video - looks great on 42" HD TV (not tried it on the new 52" but guess it will also be excellent). You can also easily take very good stills from the video with Sony's supplied software (see this old thread : http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...ew-user-5.html which may work well for children's sports events if you are not planning on printing at greater than 7 x 5.

The 10fps is frankly disappointing and low quality, more of a gimmick. To be expected considering even semi-pro cameras from Canon / Nikon only do 5 to 6 fps.

Overall an excellent camera, the zoom range is great for use on certain occasions and the macro is particularly good. I LOVE the easy to use panorama feature (saves plenty of time in front of the computer using 3rd party stitching programs) if you don't want the highest quality (great for websites / real estate industry). Don't expect great low light (you really shouldn't on any camera below say US$1,200).

I am very happy with it as a back-up or general carry around camera or for specific uses (panorama etc.).
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote