Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:48 AM   #1

Default Sony H5 Question

My boyfriend has a Sony H5, and a Canon Powershot...630
He has been using the Canon exclusively...and I found out why. The
Sony takes 20 photos, very well mind you...but, then the batteries are dead.
I reset Everything and used Duracell non rechargables and was able to eek out 48 and the battery dead started blinking.
Back to rechargables and a fully and freshly charged pair gave me 25 shots, all of these were non-flash.

Any ideas why or how the H5 is using up the power?
Has anybody heard of this problem?

I have an H1 and haven't the problem like this.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2009, 8:23 AM   #2

Lisa-

Power consumption is a function of camera design. The 3.0" LCD screen used on the H-5 was one of the very first LCD screens and it takes a lot of electrical energy, that is the primary reason why the H-5 uses much more electrical power than the Sony H-1 or H-2 camera thatv were produced in thatv same time frame.

And yes, rechargeable batteries that can be recharged as many as 1,000 times are a much more economical way to power digital cameras.

Have a great day and a Merry Christmas.

Sarahb Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:06 AM   #3

Default Power and batteries

Sarah,
Thank you for the information about the LCD.
I did some checking, apparently this is an inherent problem with the H series, one which I haven't experienced with mine, , mine have always given me good performance for battery life.
I did try something one person suggested...got some new batteries which were 1700 and used them after full charge...these LASTED...like batteries should. Used the same ones for most of the day, kept two extra sets, but, didn't need them. I do prefer the info lithiums...
I am still looking at the G11 Canon to try out...I really liked the way it felt and handled and layout of the menus 'right there'. I do prefer the ability to close the LCD and rotate it. And, just like to try new ones out.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:09 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalonewolf View Post
...Any ideas why or how the H5 is using up the power?
Has anybody heard of this problem?
See this page:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/acces...er-prices.html

Here's a quote:

Quote:
The first thing a new digicam owner quickly realizes is that those AA alkaline batteries included with their camera are next to worthless. I've gotten many emails from folks who wondered if their cameras were defective because they only got 20 or so shots before the batteries crapped out. Today's digital cameras are extremely high-drain devices. The batteries must power a color LCD, a motorized zoom lens, an autofocus system, the multi-megapixel imager and the associated processing hardware. The answer is simple ... use high power NiMH rechargeable batteries.
Also see it's review conclusion here (using 2500mAh NiMH batteries in it):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...-review-5.html

Quote:
The H5 is powered by only 2 AA batteries and I was impressed by their life considering that you always have either the EVF or LCD turned on when using the camera. It captured nearly 200 shots on a set of 2500mah NiMH rechargeables with full-time use of continuous image stabilization and occasional use of continuous AF.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:18 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
The Sony takes 20 photos, very well mind you...but, then the batteries are dead.
I reset Everything and used Duracell non rechargables and was able to eek out 48 and the battery dead started blinking.
Back to rechargables and a fully and freshly charged pair gave me 25 shots, all of these were non-flash.
IOW, you need better rechargeables (high capacity NiMH batteries, versus whatever you're using now). I'd look for 2500mAh or better.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:22 AM   #6

Lisa

Lately, I have had a lot of success using the new NiZN batteries. They cost roughly 10% more but the are wonderful in performance. Each cell puts out 1.6 volts, rather than 1.2 volts which you nomally get from a NiMH re-chargeable battery. I found them at Amazon.

I have also been looking at the Canon G-11. It has less zoom than the H-5, but it is feature loaded, and the photos that I have seen from the G-11 have been amazing.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 3, 2010, 2:53 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies.
I looked at the batteries I have been using...2300 and up which work fine in my H1 and his Canon A30...
in an old blog post suggestion was to use a 1650...ones I am trying are 2700nmah
I do prefer the lithium ion batteries. They seem to 'take a licking and keep on clicking'.
Since I got the camera to shoot more than 20 shots at a time my bf may actually start using it...though he does like his Canon...and is used to it.

I was at Best buy the other day...and looked at the G11...it is very comfortable in my hand, the things I use MOST...EV, ISO, and custom 1 and 2 being readily available rather than having to go to 'menu, scroll and find it then go back to see if it is what I want', is very handy. As is having a hot shoe...have missed that...though have a slave flash. Anywho, something to try out.

Last edited by lisalonewolf; Jan 3, 2010 at 4:51 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:29 PM   #8

The G-11 is great camera, you would enjoy it, Lisa-

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:40 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalonewolf View Post
Thanks for the replies.
I looked at the batteries I have been using...2300 and up which work fine in my H1 and his Canon A30...
in an old blog post suggestion was to use a 1650...ones I am trying are 2700nmah
I do prefer the lithium ion batteries. They seem to 'take a licking and keep on clicking'.
Since I got the camera to shoot more than 20 shots at a time my bf may actually start using it...though he does like his Canon...and is used to it.

I was at Best buy the other day...and looked at the G11...it is very comfortable in my hand, the things I use MOST...EV, ISO, and custom 1 and 2 being readily available rather than having to go to 'menu, scroll and find it then go back to see if it is what I want', is very handy. As is having a hot shoe...have missed that...though have a slave flash. Anywho, something to try out.
The G11 is a very capable camera. I am sure you will find it to your liking.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote