Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 16, 2009, 2:53 PM   #1

Default Sony DSC-HX1 Settings ?'s

First of all I'd like to say hi to everyone on this forum, I did alot of research before buying this camera and a good deal of it came from here. So thank you all very much. This is my first advanced point and shoot camera. I understand a few of the features but I was wondering if someone could point me into the direction of some helpful information on what I should be doing. I know that it will take some time with the camera to perfect the craft, thats actually the fun part to me. This camera is a stepping stone for I would like to eventually have a DSLR. Any help is much appreciated.

Brent
Brent1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2009, 3:19 PM   #2

brent-

Welcome to the Forum We're glad you dropped by.

To really be of effective help to you, brent, we really need to know something of your photo background. We have to have a starting point from which to help.

Also books like Scott Kelby's "The Digital Photography Book" and James Patterson's book oon exposure would be helpful background books for you.

Have a great day and merry Christmas.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 3:53 PM   #3

I would say you would classify me as a novice. I have had a couple basic point and shoot cameras but nothing thats like the HX1. I have always loved to take pictures but never really had equipment to take great pictures. I have a thirst for knowledge and usually catch on rather quickly. Thank you for the info on the books Sarah. Happy holidays to you and yours as well.

Brent
Old Dec 16, 2009, 5:17 PM   #4

brent-

Most Community Colleges offer digital camera courses for nominal tuition. You might check into what your local Community College is offering for the Winter Quarter beginning in January.

I will be teaching two courses for the Winter Quarter. One on "Photoshop Elements for Photo Editing," and the second course called "Digital Cameras Made Really Easy." And yes, we offer both daytime and evening classes.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 7:52 PM   #5

Thanks Sarah, I'll look into that!!! Not sure where you are but I'll check out my local school. I've been messing around with it tonight and probably will till I get this this all figured out. This thing sure is fun!!
Old Dec 16, 2009, 8:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent1202 View Post
Thanks Sarah, I'll look into that!!! Not sure where you are but I'll check out my local school. I've been messing around with it tonight and probably will till I get this this all figured out. This thing sure is fun!!
Congrats on your purchase, I too have just purchased the HX1 and am new to photography, so maybe we can learn together and share tips etc.

Paul
mystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 8:35 PM   #7

Great to meet ya Paul. I'll share anything that I find helpful with ya. The weather here has been kinda crappy so I'm waiting for a few nice clear days to go snap some pics. Please let me know if you find anything helpful. This seems to be a great forum and full of great people.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 8:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Great to meet ya Paul. I'll share anything that I find helpful with ya. The weather here has been kinda crappy so I'm waiting for a few nice clear days to go snap some pics. Please let me know if you find anything helpful. This seems to be a great forum and full of great people.
No worries, weather here is crappy too..where are you?
Old Dec 16, 2009, 8:50 PM   #9

In Kentucky. You?
Old Dec 16, 2009, 9:51 PM   #10

Quote:
In Kentucky. You?
Oklahoma...