Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 30, 2009, 5:06 PM   #1

Default Help! H20-HX1-or what?!

Very amateur photographer. Played around with a Pentax K1000 back in the 80s, but with the standard lens, no extra lenses. Had a digital Kodak back in 2000, upgraded to a Fuji FinePix 700 and then upgraded to a Kodak Z1275.

The Z1275 started eating batteries a couple of months ago, so I decided it was time for a new camera. I did some online research, went to Best Buy and started looking at cameras. I started talking to the SA about cameras and he was pretty knowledgeable and recommended the Sony TX1 to meet my needs. Came home and did more research on the TX1 and liked what I read, and liked what I saw when I played with the camera in the store. So, I went back and made a purchase and started taking pictures while on vacation. When I got home and downloaded them onto my computer, I was really disappointed with the quality of the photos. They weren't as crisp as my Kodak pictures. While taking pictures with the TX1, I realllly missed my digital zoom.

I tried all kinds of settings while taking pictures on vacation because I could see in the viewfinder that some weren't that clear. So, I have lots of mulitple pictures taken on different settings. None of them knocked my socks off.

What I did love about the Sony was the speed of the picture taking and how quickly I could snap another shot. I loved the sweep panorama, and I really loved the image stabilization.

Part of me would like to stay with Sony because I have the memory stick now that I can't use in another camera, but if there is something better out there, it's a small price to pay for a good camera.

I have spent some time reading here to see what people thought about various Sony cameras, and it seems like the HX1 and the H20 get really good reviews. I know they are two totally different cameras, especially in size, so let me tell you what I'm looking for in a camera so that hopefully you can point me in the right direction.

1. 12MP+ - I blow up pictures, so I need to be able to get nice 8x10s
2. 5x zoom with digital zoom - sometimes I need to be able to get in close, and I couldn't do that with the 4x of the TX1
3. image stabilization - optical as a minimum, digital if anyone has it that's decent

I don't know if the MP is as important if your lens zooms in more, and that was a concern about the HX1 since it's 9.1MP with a 20x zoom. In the smaller cameras, I know the higher MP has been better for me as far as quality of pictures, and maybe that's just the difference in the brands (Fuji vs. Kodak).

I really wanted a point & shoot that I could throw in my purse, but on the other hand, I really want a camera that's going to give me a decent picture. So, I think have to be willing to give up a pocket cam to get that.

Please help me! (if I can be helped! ha!)
Christa_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:26 PM   #2

Hi there, Christa-

Please don't become confused about Megapixels. An 8mp camera can easily produce very good 8" X 10" prints.

The Sony H-20 is still a size that you can put into your purse if you use a large bag. The H-20 has 10X optical zoom, the best automatic mode in class, the best built-in flash unit in its class, HD Video, and you can zoom while filming.

The Sony H-50 and HX-1 are larger cameras and they will really not go into your purse. going outside of Sony there is the Canon SX-200 with 12X optical zoom. The Sx-200 is just about the same size as the H-20. The SX-200 does HD video but does not zoom while filming.

So, considering that you already own the Memory Sticks Pro Duo, and that camera size is a priority, the Sony H-20 is probably your best choice.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:34 PM   #3

So, what makes more MP better when it comes to the final picture? I always thought the higher the MP the better, especially if you are going to crop or blow up the picture.

Is the 10x zoom going to be enough for every day kind of shooting, or will I really miss not having the 20x zoom? What about the Exmor technology that the HX1 touts? Will I miss that in the H20?

I really am torn between the two. Love the 20x, sweep panorama and 1080 video in the HX1. Love the size but still great quality in the H20. I wish I could get both! If I could put a 15x zoom and sweep panorama in the H20, I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to go with that one.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:08 PM   #4

Christa-

It is a decision that only you can make. My reply was based on the perceived high priority you had placed on having a camera that you could tuck into your purse.

Yes, both the HX-1 and H-50 are available but they are indeed physically larger, and yes, they have 20X optical zoom and 15X optical zoom. However, with New Year's Eve being tomorrow, we are within several months of all the new camera announcements for 2010.

Those in the know are convinced that a single replacement will be introduced to replace both the HX-1 and the H-50. The H-20 is slated to remain pretty much the same. So, now you have all the info that is out there.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:10 AM   #5

Several months? Like May-ish or June-ish? I'm not sure I want to go that long without a replacement camera. Maybe I should go with the H20 and then pick up the new HX1/HX50 replacement camera and then both my needs will be satisfied!

So, if size was not an issue, you'd suggest the HX1? (if I was wavering between the two)
Old Dec 31, 2009, 2:49 PM   #6

Christa-

Yes, I see the Sony HX-1 as a very good choice. However, with the possibility of a replacement for the HX-1 on the horizon before May 2010, I would be very cautious in going ahead with the HX-1.

Or you can also view the situation in a somewhat different way. After the announcement of a replacement for the HX-1, should that indeed happen, the HX-1 prices are probably going to drop. So you can become a "bottom fisherman" of sorts, and be ready to dive in if the prices on the HX-1 do drop measurably, and make it an attractive purchase.

In answer to your "now" question about meeting your camera needs in the short term. Here is how I would approach it. You might be able to pick up the Sony H-10 or H-3 for a great price on the used market. The H-10 came before the H-20 and replaced the H-3. No, these two cameras (the H-10 and the H-3) do not have HD video, and the use the older menu, but they produce image quality that is quite comparable to the H-20, with the same great built-in flash unit as found in the H-20.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 1, 2010, 8:33 AM   #7

Hmmm...I will have to scour the secondary markets and see if I see good prices on those to help me hold out a little longer. Thanks for all your advice!
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:53 PM   #8

Just thought I'd come and update. After visiting a local Sony store, I've decided to go with the HX1 and hope that I'm not totally bummed when any announcements come out about new cameras! I've placed an order online, so now I just have to sit and wait for it to arrive.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:57 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christa_R View Post
Just thought I'd come and update. After visiting a local Sony store, I've decided to go with the HX1 and hope that I'm not totally bummed when any announcements come out about new cameras! I've placed an order online, so now I just have to sit and wait for it to arrive.
congrats. should serve you well!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:07 AM   #10

Congratulations, Christa-

I know you will enjoy the Sony HX-1 a lot. Post some photos when you have a chance.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce