Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 8, 2010, 5:29 PM   #211

Nothing special ... only my new (Chinese) solar lights :-)

01 p.m. 125 ISO , 1/400 sec freehand

07 p.m. 3200 ISO , 1/20 sec, freehand

09 p.m. 125 ISO, 1 sec, tripod
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 8:23 PM   #212

That is a beautiful contrast in lighting, DonalDuc-

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:08 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Ric-

Your photo was taken into fairly heavy backlighting which really makes things difficult. The old photographer's rule is this: when the subject is back lighted, you have to light the front of the photo with a reflector or with a forced flash if the distance between camera and subject allows.

The reason DonalDuc's photos look so good is that he has full control of the lighting of his subject and the photos are very well focused. When you are shooting straight up in the air you have pretty much lost control over the light and with the back lighting even precise focusing will be a chore.

Here is a nice HX5 sunset that I took, and even though it is back lighted, I controlled the back lighting using Exposure Compensation and we ended up with a nice photo.
Thanks for the tip. Yes I must learn to control the lightning just like DonalDuc did so precisely. How do you use exposure compensation so beautifully Sarah? Which buttons on the Hx5V or what settings? Apologize for the beginner's question.. lots to learn....
Ric01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:12 PM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuc View Post
Nothing special ... only my new (Chinese) solar lights :-)

01 p.m. 125 ISO , 1/400 sec freehand
07 p.m. 3200 ISO , 1/20 sec, freehand
09 p.m. 125 ISO, 1 sec, tripod
DonalDuc.. if you don't mind my asking...... how do you set the 1/400 sec or 1/20 sec on your Tx-7? For some reason, I could not find it under "P" or "M"... i must be missing something.. thanks
Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:28 PM   #215

Ric-

I do not mean to be impolite, but both DonalDuc and I have be at the photo game for DECADES. Notice the number of post that I have posted just on this website. I have also written 4 books on digital cameras. You just need to gain some experience by taking lots of photos, and get very friendly with your HX5 Owner's Manual.

I always shoot in the "P" for Programed Auto Mode. If I need Exposure Compensation I enter the Menu and select the desired setting.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:03 AM   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Ric-

I do not mean to be impolite, but both DonalDuc and I have be at the photo game for DECADES. Notice the number of post that I have posted just on this website. I have also written 4 books on digital cameras. You just need to gain some experience by taking lots of photos, and get very friendly with your HX5 Owner's Manual.

I always shoot in the "P" for Programed Auto Mode. If I need Exposure Compensation I enter the Menu and select the desired setting.

Sarah Joyce
Understood.... good point Sarah. I respect both your and DonalDuc's expertise. Hope you don't mind I've also just joined the other thread "First impressions" with a mountain shot. You are right.. practice makes perfect.. the cam is so portable that I bring it with me everywhere I go, just like my cellphone

Last edited by Ric01; Apr 9, 2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:10 AM   #217

nice pics....i have just got TX5 and the flash is far too bright(strong).

I tried reducing the exposure, but it doesn't seem to work....any help please?!

i looked into the manual on my pc ( thit is frustrating!) but couldn't find anything and don't really have the time to do research..

any advice would be appreciated
digicam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:26 AM   #218

digicam5-

I do not own the TX5, but I do own the TX1 and there is Flash Compensation on the main menu that can either increase or decrease the built-in flash output.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:32 AM   #219

thx Sarah Joyce! Tx5 is more like Tx7 or HX5 i think... some feature of the tx1 have been removed....does HX5 have this flash compensation?
digicam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 4:03 AM   #220

A lot of my pictures are made with flash - always okay. I ONLY use (right side in menu) "Slow Syncro".
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote