Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 15, 2010, 6:14 PM   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciro2001max View Post
DonalDuc, have any idea if the Sony TX7 has the same problems that the Sony HX5V with barrel distortion? Thanks
I don't think so based on:
(1) completely different lens
(2) I haven't seen any complaints on it whereas the HX5V complaints are piled a mile high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuc View Post
I do not make photos of wine and beer barrels - so I never saw barrel distortion.
But who searches ... he will find. :-)
Not even remotely funny and if you can't see the HX5V video barrel distortion, it's time for glasses. No need to "search" for it.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 6:36 PM   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
I don't think so based on:
(1) completely different lens

Look at this video of a TX7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5jiAI3eiIk
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:49 PM   #253

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanstreak View Post
I can't really say that I consider it quite pronounced, however our individual viewpoints are much too subjective. I don't find it that bad in movie mode as I only notice it around the edges. It could be there are differences between cameras as I have seen worse samples. Yes, 1.5x eliminates the distortion as far as I'm concerned.
Yes, from my experience, the barrel distortion during regular outdoor video shooting on streets, people etc is unnoticeable unless I am shooting video indoors near objects with straight edges that happen to land on the edge of the screen which is not an often occurrence eg shooting someone walking up the stairs... the staircase that appears on the edge of the screen will wrap a little bit or window frame will distort a little bit etc. Like you, meanstreak, barrel distortion does not bother me in everyday video shooting

Quote:

Did you mean before taking the shot or the end result?
Though I took a few shots in Panny mode, I didn't pay attention to distortion as I was facinated that the camera could stitch those picture together so well.
I mean before taking the panoramic shot, I noticed the barrel distortion on the LCD screen if there is a straight edge object (standing ladder)that happened to be near the camera. However, after taking the shot, we are so amazed, Woo and Wow at the image that there is no noticeable distortion for resulting panoramic shot

Quote:

I found none at all in all still modes.
No distortion in all still modes for me either. Good correction by Sony

Last edited by Ric01; Apr 15, 2010 at 8:55 PM.
Ric01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:06 PM   #254

I just try a TX7 at SonyStyle and if the distortion is quite noticeable but it is not so bad, what I noticed is that there is a function that clears enough the video, so do not think you can not fix the darkness that appears in the footage of the hx5v. Here in Argentina the hx5v not yet arrived (already published), the only way is to import it.
ciro2001max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:38 PM   #255

Quote:
Look at this video of a TX7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5jiAI3eiIk
Well it is definitely there. It's hard to tell with that one video if it's as bad as the HX5V.

I'm not too bothered any of it though since you can zoom in. The washed out colors are more of a concern to me.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:13 AM   #256

Quote:
Well it is definitely there. It's hard to tell with that one video if it's as bad as the HX5V.

I'm not too bothered any of it though since you can zoom in. The washed out colors are more of a concern to me.
That video is worse than my results with the HX5. Is is more noticable at the beginning of the video especially the first couple frames. The camera moves around alot but freezing the frame it is quite noticable.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:23 AM   #257

Quote:

I second that for the washed out colors. That's why I returned mine.

The barrel distortion is there during video in wide, no question.
Point is, how much are you bothered by it or the need to zoom in 1.5x to avoid it.
mamuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:08 PM   #258

Quote:

Pros:

: Picture quality is great for a camera of this size.

: 10x zoom in a small package.

: The Intelligent Scene Recognition works great.

: Face, smile, and blink recognition.

: Impressive, fast Autofocus and 10 FPS.

: I'm really impressed by this cameras Steady Shot Active Mode. I was walking along at rapid pace snapping blur free photos.

: Panorama Mode is a really fun impressive feature.

: Loads of other features I have yet to experience.
I share your same pros as you.. I also like the two heads recognition feature... I bought an extendable telescopic stick and turn the camera around to shoot me and my significant other without troubling passer-bys. The camera will ensure that our two heads are in the frame before it shoots automatically. I am so glad I did not buy the samsung dual screen that I initially was interested in for self shot portrait. Hx5 had many times more useful features.

HHT low light still shots is the best in its class of P & S cameras at this point in time

Quote:
Cons:

: I find it too easy to cover left microphone with finger, menu a bit confusing.

: Fingerprint magnet... I find myself constantly polishing this thing. I guess that's the price you pay for it's polished high tech look.

: I can't think of any other cons yet except that the Movie Mode Barrel distortion may be a negative for some considering the purchase of this camera.
I agree with all the cons plus I found the mics sound quality are not that great.. still OK.
Due to the limited surface area to hold the camera, I have to be careful.. it is very easy to drop the camera. I am thinking of sticking some velcro on the spots my fingers is grabbing the camera with. I will also screw in the telescopic stick for extra grip during extended photo shoot period.

Last edited by Ric01; Apr 16, 2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:53 AM   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric01 View Post
HHT low light still shots is the best in its class of P & S cameras at this point in time
... except for Fuji and as long as we're ruling out cameras with shorter zoom like the Canon S90 and Panasonic LX3.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:24 PM   #260

Do you know what technology Fuji, Canon S90 and Panasonic LX3 uses to achieve low light photography?

Do they take a burst of 6 shots in HHT mode just like the Hx5?