Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 13, 2010, 3:23 PM   #301

My pictures ... and light :-)

tomatoes ... SAME picture, but flash=ON and flash=SLOW SYNCHRO

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 9:28 PM   #302

Sorry, I'm new to this. How do you view EXIF data for these?

Thanks!
Jan
Jan851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 11:42 PM   #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan851 View Post
Sorry, I'm new to this. How do you view EXIF data for these?

Thanks!
Jan
Donalduc and Skylark had kindly described in previous post# 286 and #287 if you can scroll backwards to Page 29
Ric01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 4:44 PM   #304

Thanx Ric :-)

You also can use addons for Windows Explorer, for ex. OPANDA IExif
right click picture and select "view exif"

Old May 15, 2010, 6:59 PM   #305

Follow up to my flash too bright post.
Sorry for the delay in posting these photos. All three were taken handheld with the material on the floor. Notes are on each photo. The first photo without flash is under exposed but serves to show the texture of the carpet. See more comments after the 3 photos.

In my first flash test, I happened to be sitting on a chair and the material happened to be on the floor near by. For this flash test, I was standing up with the TX7 at about waist level. On the TX7's LCD screen, the flash pictures above look much worse. The light blue carpet looks like a blown out almost white mass with almost no texture. That is what shocked me at first. On the computer, the exposure doesn't look as blown out as it does on the TX7's LCD screen.

In the past couple of days, I've done some flash tests on objects in our house and they don't look as blown out as the flash photos above. I guess the TX7 just could not adjust its exposure properly with the object and background I happened to use. I also found that using the slow synchro mode, the flash pictures are just not sharp handheld compared to the regular flash mode. I just can't hold the camera steady enough for slow synchro.

During these additional tests I discovered something I really don't care for with the TX7. Photos taken at full wide are sharp but photos taken at full zoom are not sharp. The TX7 only has a 4x zoom and is expensive for an ultra-compact P&S so the unsharpness of the photos at full zoom (only 4x) is highly disappointing.

Yes, I know that the sharpness of an ultra-compact can never be close to a DSLR but since the TX7 is sharp at full wide, I know the sharpness that its sensor is capable of producing. In my view, it's the zoom quality of it's internal zoom lens that is sorely lacking. Also, our old Canon SD550 ultra-compact at it's full zoom of 3x produces much sharper photos than the TX7 that I have. Maybe I got a lemon TX7, I don't know.

I'm going to return my TX7 and buy an ultra-compact that has a larger extending zoom lens. I'm not looking for an ultra zoom as I have a FZ50 12x for that. Looking for a put in the purse and bring to parties and weddings camera for my wife. I want picture quality through out the zoom range that is at least equal to our old Canon SD550.

I'll post some pictures later to show the sharpness difference between full wide and full zoom of the TX7 in the next day or two.

Skylark

Last edited by skylark; May 15, 2010 at 7:06 PM.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 8:59 AM   #306

fire the furnace ... it's +8 C outside :-|

bye, bye my cherry tree ...

Last edited by DonalDuc; May 16, 2010 at 9:02 AM.
Old May 17, 2010, 1:48 AM   #307

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post
I'll post some pictures later to show the sharpness difference between full wide and full zoom of the TX7 in the next day or two.
Here's a side-by-side comparison of the sharpness of photos from my TX7. The left photo was taken about 1.7 feet from the magazine cover with no zoom. The right photo was taken about 6-7 feet from the cover at full 4x zoom.

The objective when taking both photos was to frame the magazine cover so it just fit in the LCD display to try to get about the same size photos in both cases. Both photos were taken handheld with flash fired.

No post processing other than cropping to show the difference better. After cropping and pasting both photos on one layer, the side-by-side photo was resized "down" to 1024 pixels wide. IOW, no pixels were invented while resizing.

Not sure why my TX7 loses sharpness at only 4x full zoom. Either due to camera processing or the internal zoom lens at full zoom.
Old May 17, 2010, 8:48 AM   #308

Hi all, I just joined the forum. Interesting discussion!

I'm looking at buying the TX-7 this week.

Being a Canon fanboy (Well, I've always owned Canon cameras), I initially had my heart set on the Canon 210 IS (SD3500) but upon further research I realized that it wasn't that good after all.

Just a few questions, (I apologize if this has already been covered)

How many MBs does a full hd video take up per minute?

Any advantages in using a MS over a SD card? (As I have never used a MS)

For those who have used the camera extensively, how long will the battery last?
James Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 10:39 AM   #309

Skylark,

so we infer that it is wise not to use the zoom but to crop unzoomed images whereever possible ?

How about landscapes etc ?

Tor
Torr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 1:37 PM   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond View Post
Hi all, I just joined the forum. Interesting discussion!
I'm looking at buying the TX-7 this week.
...snip...
For those who have used the camera extensively, how long will the battery last?
Hi James, welcome to the forum.

My input to your battery question is that while testing my TX7 it did seem that the charge remaining indicator dropped faster than my Canon SD550 ultra-compact and Panasonic FZ50 bridge camera. Just a feel thing as I did not make any effort to measure battery life. The TX7's battery is rather tiny.

Sky