Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 17, 2010, 2:30 PM   #311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torr View Post
Skylark,
so we infer that it is wise not to use the zoom but to crop unzoomed images whereever possible ?
How about landscapes etc ?
Tor
Hi Torr,

My purpose in posting the side-by-side comparison of the TX7's sharpness at no zoom and full zoom was only to illustrate the sharpness characteristics of the particular TX7 that I received. No inference meant. As I mentioned, I don't know if it's unique to my particular TX7.

Since a good portion of my wife's camera use (it's for her) is/will be indoors at parties, picture quality using flash is important to us. Losing sharpness with flash at 4x zoom is not what we want from a $372 P&S camera. So that negates any landscape picture quality issues.

Also, the TX7 blowing out "certain" close shot flash photos as I previously posted is also very disappointing. I'm testing a Panasonic ZS6 compact and it does not blow out the same flash shot. Here's an example.

Flash photo below from the TX7 (not slow synchro). Note the loss of carpet texture detail:

Flash photo from ZS6 (not slow synchro):

I think the ZS6 handles that particular composition well using flash compared to the TX7's blown out photo. It would be possible to post process the ZS6's photo for better rendition if more brightness is desired. It would not be possible to get the same result from the TX7's photo.

I'm not trying to be a Sony basher in any way. I wanted to love the TX7 so much that I was willing to pay the premium price for it. I love it's compact size, sweep panorama and anti motion blur features. But in the end, picture quality "with no effort on my wife's part" is the bottom line. She would never even try to adjust the camera for optimum photos depending on the situation. The posts I made in this thread are just the results of my personal testing with no bias what so ever. There are very good reviews on amazon for the TX7 which were what prompted me to purchase it. So the results of my testing might be unique to my particular TX7.

Best regards,
Sky

Last edited by skylark; May 17, 2010 at 2:47 PM.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 4:21 PM   #312

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond View Post
...snip... Any advantages in using a MS over a SD card? (As I have never used a MS)
My views are:

1. SD cards cost less per byte than memory sticks.

2. SD cards can be used in many if not most other cameras while MS cards are unique to Sony cameras. So SD cards could probably be used in other cameras (and camcorders) one may purchase.

3. Since Sony finally incorporated SD card capability in the TX7, it seems that they might be doing that to the cameras that they release in the future. MS might end up like the Beta tapes.

With those reasons in mind, I would only buy SD cards if there is a choice.
(Oh, and PS: I would not have bought the TX7 if it did not have SD card capability.)

Sky

Last edited by skylark; May 17, 2010 at 4:33 PM.
Old May 17, 2010, 6:01 PM   #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post
My views are:

1. SD cards cost less per byte than memory sticks.

2. SD cards can be used in many if not most other cameras while MS cards are unique to Sony cameras. So SD cards could probably be used in other cameras (and camcorders) one may purchase.

3. Since Sony finally incorporated SD card capability in the TX7, it seems that they might be doing that to the cameras that they release in the future. MS might end up like the Beta tapes.

With those reasons in mind, I would only buy SD cards if there is a choice.
(Oh, and PS: I would not have bought the TX7 if it did not have SD card capability.)

Sky
Thanks for your replies.

Speaking of SD cards, is class 4 good enough?

I have a SanDisk 16 GB Class 4 Ultra II which I'm not using. or do I need a class 6?
James Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 6:30 PM   #314

TX7

This is a black pine, 10 meters high, 10 meters diameter ... no, it was ...
it's the 1m tree stump, overgrown by ivy

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 7:29 PM   #315

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond View Post
Thanks for your replies.

Speaking of SD cards, is class 4 good enough?

I have a SanDisk 16 GB Class 4 Ultra II which I'm not using. or do I need a class 6?
According to the Sony specs for the TX7 on this webpage, (click on the specifications tab under the picture of the camera and look for Memory), class 4 or higher for movie mode.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications

EDIT: Just read in the ZS5/ZS6/ZS7 Operating Instructions Manual that Class 4 or above is recommended for AVCHD Lite recordings but that Class 6 or above is recommended for MOTION JPG recordings.

Sky

Last edited by skylark; May 21, 2010 at 7:46 AM.
Old May 22, 2010, 8:17 PM   #316

Old May 25, 2010, 1:48 PM   #317

Hello All, I'm new to this forum and I would like to say DonalDuc your photos are amazing. I just got the tx7 today and have been playing with it all day.

I was wondering for the photo of the glass with liquid pouring out to the side, how did you do that?
Jaytxvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 11:51 PM   #318

donalduc,

been wanting to upgrade my trusty but aging canon sd750. after searching around for what i need, i just ordered a tx7 today. after searching and finding your thread, i must commend you for your amazing shots! besides that, there's so much to glean that sometime next week i will do a reread of the whole thing! keep it going.
locksinajam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 9:58 AM   #319

TX7 is a fantastic (and verrrry small) camera!

movies with

AVCHD 1920x1080
AVCHD 1280x720
MP4 1920x1080
MP4 1280x720

no sound recorded from zooming and focussing! excellent!

my Samsung 3D TV (2x USB) plays MP4s in full 1920x1080 direct from SDHC/USBstick/HD .. without SAT-receiver or PC

Old Jun 6, 2010, 5:41 PM   #320

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post
According to the Sony specs for the TX7 on this webpage, (click on the specifications tab under the picture of the camera and look for Memory), class 4 or higher for movie mode.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications

EDIT: Just read in the ZS5/ZS6/ZS7 Operating Instructions Manual that Class 4 or above is recommended for AVCHD Lite recordings but that Class 6 or above is recommended for MOTION JPG recordings.

Sky
To add to the discussion, I've been using the scandisk ultra II, 32 GB class 4 and took 6 hours worth of HD video using this SD card. works like a charm
Ric01 is offline   Reply With Quote