Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 8, 2010, 6:01 AM   #321

9-18 Mbps ... class4 should be enough, but for same price class6 is better.
Last weekend I took 50 GB videos (wedding) with class6 with Canon SX1 - 43 Mbps "nonstop" :-) !!!

4 Transcends 16 GB class6 + eeeeeeneloops !
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:48 AM   #322

... and some TX7 pictures from today ... fresh from my biotop

Old Jun 11, 2010, 6:18 PM   #323

TX7

Old Jun 15, 2010, 5:26 AM   #324

Old Jun 16, 2010, 9:06 AM   #325

I have not seen TX series in person. I want to get an idea how the red color looks on TX5. I can not make up my mind if I want black, red or silver. If you had a choice, which one would you pick up? I recall reading somewhere that silver looks more like titanium and red is real red (not pink). From the photos, they all look stunning.

- Vikas
sontakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:41 PM   #326

My TX7 is "blue" - but I would say: it looks like black :-)
Important is photo/video quality and BOTH are EXCELLENT!
I never had a small, pocketable camera with such qualities!
I think the reason for that is the Sony Exmor CHIP.

Last edited by DonalDuc; Jun 16, 2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 9:36 PM   #327

Default IQ difference TX7 vs. HX5V - why?

As I understand it, the TX7 and HX5V use the same sensor (but obviously have a different lens). Why do DonalDuc's TX7 pictures always look so good,
with lots of detail, but many posted HX5V pictures look soft with the NR wiping out details?

A few possibilities come to mind:

1. The skill of the photographer (but I assume some of the HX5V soft pictures were taken by skilled photographers)
2. Knowing how to choose the right menu settings for the shooting conditions and subject matter
3. Good post processing
4. The lens difference
5. Perhaps the TX7 has less aggressive noise reduction?
5. Maybe it's a case of the HX5V loosing IQ mostly when zoomed beyond the 4X zoom limits of the TX7?

DonalDuc or others - any thoughts on which of these factors, or other factors, are involved?

Last edited by dalemccl; Jun 17, 2010 at 10:27 PM.
dalemccl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 8:34 PM   #328

I do not make post processing (IT'S WASTE OF LIFETIME!)
I do not use Photoshop & friends, I only use Irfanview (it's free!) for resizing and automatic or moderate sharpening.
Most of my photos are straight out of camera, I seldom use flash, I often take photos if it is dark or cloudy or rainy. Also very seldom I use a tripod. These pictures f.e. are all freehand.

The photographer MUST SEE, not the camera! Camera is an instrument to catch what photographer sees. I never use motive programs - they are for the cat ... on DSLR, Bridge and pocketable.

Old Jun 17, 2010, 8:59 PM   #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuc View Post
I do not make post processing (IT'S WASTE OF LIFETIME!)
I do not use Photoshop & friends, I only use Irfanview (it's free!) for resizing and automatic or moderate sharpening.
Most of my photos are straight out of camera, I seldom use flash, I often take photos if it is dark or cloudy or rainy. Also very seldom I use a tripod. These pictures f.e. are all freehand.

The photographer MUST SEE, not the camera! Camera is an instrument to catch what photographer sees. I never use motive programs - they are for the cat ... on DSLR, Bridge and pocketable.

Hi Donald Duc, I stumbled upon your thread while researching more about HX5/TX7. I am new here and though not new to p&s photography, I have never taken seriously good photos. I decided and bought a HX5 only a few days back. Wanted to get a TX7 at first after looking at your pics but went for the extra zoom of HX5 instead and also the general consensus on the web is that picture-wise, HX5 and TX7 should be about the same.

Well, try as I might, I cannot get anywhere near to the pictures you have posted. I'm quite sure it is not my camera. HX5 has been very positively reviewed. So I conclude it's got to be the photographer and specifically in your case, the reason the TX7 produced such great pics is mainly due to your photo skills.

I hope to learn a trick or two from you on how to take such great shots. Your pictures appeal to me because I mainly love scenery pics and macro shots of flowers myself.

For example the picture above, I look at the exif, it says

Exp time 1/200
F number F3.5
Exposure prog Normal Program
ISO 200

Does Normal Program mean you just use auto mode and shoot? I would like to take macro shots of flowers with their background blurred. How do I do that?

Hope you can teach me a little bit. Thanks.
martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 4:04 AM   #330

Most of my pictures are "P" mode, most ISOs 125 or 200, only if it dark 400, seldom, very seldom 800.

If you use Super Macro, then you cannot use zoom, but background will be blurred. Also with Normal Macro - focussing at foreground of course blurrs background.

Last four pictures above are Super Macro. TX7 is "Master of Making Sharp Pictures" :-)

Try different modes - try & error is the best to become "warm" with your camera.